World Cup 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup 2014

USA vs Ghana ... That was a fun game. 34 second goal. Then Ghana ties. Then USA scores off a header at 86'. Damn fine game.

Just Portugal minus Pepe and then Germany to go.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Bluddy hell! Even on this forum, my football fatigue is exacerbated. Where did I put that diazapam?
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Oh, come on, Brian. We all know that deep down, inside your heart of heart, you're actually chanting: U-S-A! U-S-A!

:P

And to be fair, mine is actually the second World Cup post. Your thread, which I didn't spot until after I posted mine, was the first World Cup thread on the forums. So technically posting about World Cup on the forums is your fault

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
        Oh, come on, Brian. We all know that deep down, inside your heart of heart, you're actually chanting: U-S-A! U-S-A!
        Hardly! If I had a valid passport (which I don't), it would be as a Citizen of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland. If I had a Residency Permit (which I don't), it would be from the Republic of Cyprus. If I had papers from the country where I have spent most of my life and where my family lives (which I don't), they would be from the Confederation of Switzerland. In other words, I don't care a fig about nationality. I've enjoyed many tens of visits to the US of A (many States), but I would never wish to live there nor, least of all, to root for their football team.

And yours IS the first World Cup thread; mine is anti-World Cup!

Comment

A heads up to all those Aussies here, you played a great game (albeit helped a bit by the referee). Our guys will need to rest a bit before taking on Chile.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Wow! Did you guys watch Netherlands - Costa Rica? Amazing how we kept on trying to get through concrete, 9 to ten defenders all the time. 5th time we get to the semi-finals and of the previous 4 we made finals 3 times. We may extract some revenge by beating Argentina first (lost finals in '78) and Germany in the finals (lost finals in '74). For now, our national frustration with penalty-shoot outs may be aleviated quite a bit. And the fun thing is, our opponents will now have to study two goalies instead of one.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I caught the end of the match. This mass defender strategy seems to be rather popular this World Cup. Lot of smaller teams (as in, void of lots of super star offensive types) have been using it and shaking things up. I've seen it in a lot of matches I watched. Costa Rica did it to great effect.

The Netherlands goalie, Krul, was brilliant in the shootout. He could have blocked three if he had committed a touch sooner.

Comment

The coachs' decision to switch goalies about 1 minute prior to end of playtime was brilliant. Regardless of whether Krul would be better as a penalty killer objectively, the psychological effect on the Costa Ricans must have been significant. Van Gaal was the subject of a lot of critisicm (especially from people who liked/are in leaguie with Cruijff). That has stymied somewhat but van Gaal realises that if he losses and match, the vox populi will tear him a new one. "That's all in the life of a football[/soccer] coach".

Comment

...ouch.

Comment

It's good for us in that I'd rather play Germany than Brazil given the home advantage but... this will boost German confidence a lot and it is hard to fight a confident team.

Comment

Just heard: Last time we defended so badly against Germany, we lost our country for five years!

Comment

Reminds me of Euro 2012, here in Warsaw. Poland lost from Ukraine, and this made the Polish supports quite upset with their team. So the supporters got their revenge on the next match, Poland vs San Marino. Virtually all supporters in the stadion in Warsaw were supporting San Marino (the capacity of the stadion - 56000 - is more than the entire population of San Marino - 36000). It looked and sounded fantastic: cheering when San Marino had the ball, ...
                        The crowd had fun, the Polish players looked so sad and the San Marino players did not know what was happening. San Marino still lost, in the interview afterwards, the coach looked so confused about the whole situation. It was brilliant!

Perhaps something for Brazilian supporters next time?
                        pixar
                        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Comment

Yep, Cyprus, Scotland not even in, England out, Switzerland out.... You're SOL! :d

Comment

Das Football!!
                              I think Brazil lost motivation when they lost two of their best players. But to me, that should not impact a professional soccer team at all.

Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                              X