Ubuntu 14.04 released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 14.04 released

"This is a version with long-term (5 years) of security support and a convenient upgrade path from the previous release with long-term support features (version 12.04). Canonical announces the latest Ubuntu release, 14.04 LTS. The long-term support (LTS) release is supported and maintained by Canonical for five years, making it the most stable, reliable, secure and cost-effective desktop for long-term, large scale deployments within enterprise and public sector organisations today."

Press Release
    http://insights.ubuntu.com/news/ubun...-and-business/

Release Notes & Download Links
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes

Hasn't everyone switched to mint by now for desktop.

People still like LTS on the servers.

Comment

Yep it looks like Mint is the new leader

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity

Comment

Ah bugger. lol. Will have to give mint a chance on another laptop...

Just installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS at work, and everything is working fine, just about.
        Have had to install a virtual machine with Win7, for Office 2010, since some people might send me docx/xlsx files.
        Have 4Gb of ram on this Dell E5520, 1.2Gb for the Win7 VM, and still have about 1Gb (of the 4Gb) left free in Ubuntu when everything I need is open and running.

I do have a problem where if i leave the mouse/priority on the virtual machine (VirtualBox), then when i try to log back in after the ubuntu session locks, the keyboard is stuck in the VM.
        Otherwise i'm happy with it, very stable.
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
          Have had to install a virtual machine with Win7, for Office 2010, since some people might send me docx/xlsx files.
          Libre Office works with those files just fine.
          In fact, we use it at work for anyone who doesn't send out correspondence. The mail merge is still just too complicated.

PS, my preferred linux distro is still Elementary.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Damn, will have to have a go with Libre Office then, and give it a go.

As for mail merge, I know of a few people who use it at work, but thats a very small number of people.

Seeing as most people are off for August, i'll be having some fun with Mint, givin that some test time.
            The only problem I have with Ubuntu so far, is that the laptop I use won't power down or reboot. It gets stuck, and I have to force it off, then switch back on. (Dell 5520)
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I'm a casual Linux user and have been using Ubuntu since 10 (?). I've never had as many problems with a Ubuntu release as with 14.04. I'm finally bailing on Ubuntu and will switch to Mint when I get the chance.

Comment

Working...
              X