Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're #200 @ Rosetta@Home, improving the world!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bad for forgetting to update settings after the heatwave.

Comment

No worries, very glad you're back with us! I'll remind you next time through PM, ok?

We also have a new member, fechter, but I have no idea who that is. Welcome in any case!
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I guess I should come out of the woodwork - the recent addition would be me. Currently stress testing some systems, so won't keep up the current output, for what it matters... but I'll try to keep the client running on some PCs.

W
        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
        "Lobsters?"
        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Welcome to the team Wulfman and I hope you'll crunch for us for a long time, at whatever pace you want/can.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Currently in middle of maintenance and preliminary upgrades.

The 3820 may be upgraded soon to a 4930k, extra few cores to play around with. Soonâ„¢. Will then be clocking it up as well to 4.3Ghz. (These chips play funny when fully loaded on RAM so can't push it too far). Will then see if I can't leave it on a bit more. Until then, it's in low power state most of the time so only running at 1/3rd speed it should be and only on 5 threads at a time.

J1NG
            Last edited by J1NG; 30 September 2014, 10:19. Reason: spelling

Comment

How do you get it to run in a low power state? I would have thought BOINC would cause the CPU to max out on the cores it can use?

Comment

To be very honest I don't know. It's been like that since the last time I installed it (onto the USB drive stick). The CPU will use the threads I tell it to (5 : Five threads max), but it never pushes it hard enough to cause the CPU to go full speed. Instead, the CPU uses all the threads allocated to it but remains at low power of 1.2 Ghz instead. That's why my output has been so low compared to before (other than the last week when the machine was simply not on at all).

5 Threads allows the machine to do other duties and functions without needing to stall/pausing BOINC or cause conflict of resources to whatever I'm doing at the time.

Hoping with the 4930k I can set it to 9 threads and leave the last 3 to other duties.

Of course, this is all still preliminary at the moment, still need to get other stuff sorted first. But heading in that direction.

Until then, I'm not going to mess around with BOINC more to fix this low power state, as it's working "fine" as it is right now and I don't want it doing something silly next because I'm messing with settings that don't need tampering with. Will sort it when the CPU upgrade happens.

J1NG
                Last edited by J1NG; 30 September 2014, 11:26. Reason: "spelling"

Comment

I don't see how this can be related to any BOINC setting so I am guessing it is a UEFI/BIOS setting that is causing this. It moght be nice in the sense that you're not using a lot of power although I think it would be more efficient to run at max power for a limited number of hours per day. INteresting. What happens if you do do things that use the other three cores as well? If you can't get it out of this state then you're effectively running 5, uhm, PIIIs?

Comment

Wow. With Sitflyer and J1NG being back and Wulfman adding we are now #62 by RAC (@ZokesPro, we're ahead of Team MIlwaukee Electric Tool Corp by RAC!!). Perhaps, with a little bit of extra effort or Resurrections, we can reach #150 by YE!

Comment

Not bad, but my output is going to drop at some point..
                      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                      "Lobsters?"
                      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

With the weather cooling I have fired up the older lappy, to just crunch, and modified the exceptions on my primary.
                        Whatever output I have should be pretty constant for the next 6 months.

Comment

Great work guys!
                          A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                            Wow. With Sitflyer and J1NG being back and Wulfman adding we are now #62 by RAC (@ZokesPro, we're ahead of Team MIlwaukee Electric Tool Corp by RAC!!). Perhaps, with a little bit of extra effort or Resurrections, we can reach #150 by YE!
                            Haha, maybe someone took my complaint about their servers seriously! I've noticed that their machines aren't number one either.

Had a little scare when I saw my last electric bill. But having a child in the house explains it. Thought I was going to have to sell the server, or worse, shut it down! (wait, isn't selling it worse?)
                            Titanium is the new bling!
                            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

And another milestone has been reached for team MURC:
                              Nov 15, 2014
                              Predictor of the day: Congratulations to Nicram (Team Matrox Users) for predicting the lowest energy structure for workunit 6h_tube9_3_A_6h_tube9_3_B_patchdock_split_03_14103 0_SAVE_ALL_OUT__223981_0 !
                              Congrats Nicram!

Meanwhile, we're at #165 by TC and 65 by RC. I'm doing nicely as well, within #1000 by TC and #1 by RC of the Netherlands!!!

Comment

Thanks! Matrox Users FTW!
                                A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

Working...
                                X