Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're #200 @ Rosetta@Home, improving the world!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have been doing some maintenance & restructuring on my Server and apparantly I borked BOINC a bit, missed a few days of crunching. All recovered now so the credits will flow again like they used to.

Intend to play around with Server Tech Preview on an older machine, may do some BOINC on there as well.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

So. As it is, we do not rise quickly anymore because it requires, on average, more and more additional credits to rise another spot. Nevertheless, we're still #79 by RAC so ultimately a top 100 spot will be attained.

Delany, for one reason or another, did 1 WU all of a sudden but then fell silent again (to bad, you were a great cruncher). Marshmallowman must be suffering from summer down under (or at least that is what I hope is the reason for him crunching none for a while now). Meanwhile, even though we're not exactly 1-percenters yet, we do now have 5 millionaires! MMM and recently VJ joined the club. Zokes became triple and Nicram, top contributor of the team (but for how long?) became quadruple millionaire with me hot on his tails.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I'm currently not accepting new jobs, as the PC needs to be reconfigured. This most likely will happen next week. After that, it should return nicely to calculate stuff.
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Well, as soon as winter is over or when I sell my server, which ever comes first, I'm going to have to remove boinc permanently. Sorry guys but the heat management alone for a dual cpu xeon server in a house is quite complicated and expensive.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Top bad. You were there right from the beginning But you wil have made close to 4 mln, that's is quite an accomplishment. I bit of a shame that only Nicram and not you have been Predictor of the Day

Comment

Mine is currently set to not receive new tasks. On Monday, my whole system will be reinstalled (it is dog slow now).
              After that, I will add the software I need. On the new installation, I plan to move all non-essential software that runs on Linux to virtual linux clients; I will do the same with MySQL and PostGres: I don't need them often, and on a Virtual Machine it is much easier to be sure they don't take up resources.I was thinking of running BOINC in a VirtualBox client. Rosetta does not have a VMApp, but I can install it on a basic Linux installation. Not sure if it will improve responsiveness, but I can try.
              pixar

Comment

Zokes, did you use the Server for anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
                  Sorry guys but the heat management alone for a dual cpu xeon server in a house is quite complicated and expensive.
                  Yes... My dual Xeon also managed to heat up the room easily...

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                  bit of a shame that only Nicram and not you have been Predictor of the Day
                  True, you really would have deserved it too!
                  pixar

Comment

The machine is essentially an over powered, underused nas, hence rosetta. But the good news is, no one wants to buy it so I need to slow things down and deal with the heat or else I'm going to need to shut it off.
                    So to save of heat, cause if I can't sell it, i need to kill Rosetta... at home. But fear not, for it shall not be the murderous type of killing because a process feels no pain and has no emotions.
                    So remove rosetta and swap the slow old sata 1 hdd's in raid 0 with my trusty sata 2 kingston v100 ssd and finally remove win8 (use that on my gaming machine) and install some sort of linux based nas distro (haven't decided yet). That should help reduce the temps to a more acceptable level during the hot summers ahead. Yeah, kinda sucks having to kill rosetta. I mean, she can't say I wasn't good to her but that biatch never gave me the recognition I needed, so i killed her... process. That process was hot, around 67C at full load. She loaded all my cores baby. lol

Comment

It was a good ride.

Top Participants
                      Rank Name Total credit Participant since

288 Umfriend 4,038,354 22 Jun 2011 20:21:14 UTC
                      452 ZokesPro 3,166,782 13 Oct 2012 18:37:39 UTC
                      473 Nicram 4,109,193 21 Oct 2012 20:19:55 UTC

I don't quite understand their top participants raking though.

Comment

That ranking seems....off. Unless I get like 10% Founder Bonus of all your credits

Have you ever considered simply disabling one CPU and limiting the number of threads / CPU-time for Rosetta? My lappy (a i7-2670HQ) has 8 threads but it runs at 100C and the fan is loud so I actually run that one on 1 threads and 20% cpu-time to keep it quiet. My Server does run full 8 threads (i7-3770) but I underclocked and undervolted it and it does not get about 45C.

Ah well, without you and no others stepping in, I doubt we'll get to #100 ever. Still, @Rosetta will be the BOINC project where we are highest ranking, if it is not already.
                        Last edited by Umfriend; 8 February 2015, 23:57.

Comment

My work PC is reinstalled completely. I have installed BOINC on a VirtualBox installation of Debian. While I limited it to 2 out of 4 cores, the system is quite responsive while it is running (I suspect the VirtualBox is better scheduled on the CPU than the Boinc client, although I have no idea why that would be the case).
                          For now, I leave it on during work, and I'll see if does not interfere too much, otherwise it will be set to only contribute at night. Anyway, I should be again contributing. I may copy the VirtualBox to other computers, so don't be surprised to see some computer pop up or disappear. But there should always be one from me.
                          pixar

Comment

The Boinc client on Debian does not seem to start computing... Everything seems to be set ok, and it counted a little bit, but now it stopped and refuses to continue... I've double checked the settings, restarted the (virtual) machine, but to no avail... Currently quite busy, but I'll continue to try in a calmer moment.
                            pixar

Comment

Hmm, I have no clue as I am ignorant on both Debian as VMs but you might try to do Tools -> Computing Preferences -> On multiprocessor systems use at most 100% of the processors.

0 should use all but on my server it'll only use two. This is becuase initially it had a dual-core CPU and it never got round to understanding that it now has 8 threads... I can imagine that it may not query the number of processors correctly, being a VM and all. Also, check Advanced -> Event Log. What does it say at the top?

Comment

It's coming...

Will sort out the Speedstep/C-State low power stuff when it arrives on Friday and installed on Saturday.

J1NG

Comment

Working...
                                X