Syrian rebels get US BGM-71 TOW missiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syrian rebels get US BGM-71 TOW missiles

BGM-71 TOW is one badass weapon. While intended for tanks it can be used against about any target in its range.

Syrian opposition fighters obtain U.S.-made TOW antitank missiles

Syria’s opposition fighters have been supplied with U.S.-made antitank missiles, the first time a major American weapons system has appeared in rebel hands.

It is unclear how the rebels obtained the wire-guided missiles, which are capable of penetrating heavy armor and fortifications and are standard in the U.S. military arsenal. The United States has sold them in the past to Turkey, among other countries, and the Pentagon approved the sale of 15,000 of the weapons to Saudi Arabia in December. Both countries aid Syrian opposition groups.

U.S. officials declined to discuss the origin of the weapons but did not dispute that the rebels have them.

Their appearance in Syria coincides with a U.S. commitment this year to escalate a CIA-run program to supply and train vetted “moderate” rebel groups and to improve coordination with other opposition backers.

“The United States is committed to building the capacity of the moderate opposition, including through the provision of assistance to vetted members of the moderate armed opposition,” said National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan. “As we have said, we are not going to detail every single type of our assistance.”
    >
    >
    BGM-71 TOW missile
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Good. They will be able to behead more infidels with better arms. <sarcasm>

Comment

These antitank missiles have been in use all over the world for decades. I'd be surprised if they didn't already have more than a few (refills, on the other hand...).

Comment

That clip comes from a universe where sound travels at the speed of light.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
          These antitank missiles have been in use all over the world for decades. I'd be surprised if they didn't already have more than a few (refills, on the other hand...).
          The TOW designation has been around, but the theor capabilities are a fast moving target. Today's are a different kettle of fish vs even a few years ago.

Hopefully these have been updated with kill switches and/or catches so they can be disabled.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            the rebels should not be armed!!! sigh!

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
              Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              the rebels should not be armed!!! sigh!

It sounds like the Saudis and Emirates are sending them. They just bought a sh*tload of the latest version, so what's going to Syria is likely their legacy stuff.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                The TOW designation has been around, but the theor capabilities are a fast moving target. Today's are a different kettle of fish vs even a few years ago.

Hopefully these have been updated with kill switches and/or catches so they can be disabled.
                They'll change the code for the Bicycle locks on the explosives.
                It will no longer be 0000, but 1234.
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
                X