Tragic accident...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tragic accident...

My Grandfather died today. He was driving his Permobil (three wheeled open vehicle, something between a moped and an electric wheelchair) when a car hit him (I believe it was an SUV) from behind and his ribcage got crushed against the steering wheel, he died on the way or at the hospital. He was 89.

farfars mosade permobil.jpg

The local newspaper calls it an tragic accident, I have to agree, it was a tragic accident the day that the driver that caused my grandfathers death was given a drivers licence.
    The road is like a Roller coaster and yet people drive like maniacs, there are scores of wildlife accidents and single accidents (mostly Darwin award nominees not noticing that the road turned) and this particular idiot blames an incline obscuring the road (and my grandfather).
    Not that it matters since its clearly reckless driving, at least the Swedish definition of it.
    This evening when my Father was out to my Grandfathers house to make sure that all electric appliances was off, he was passed by no less than 5 speeding vehicle, the posted speed limit is 44 mph (was changed from 56, the Transport Administration said that it had been an oversight that the road had ever had the earlier higher speed limit) and this on a 10 mile stretch of this road...

I'm very sad that my grandfather is dead, but I'm much more angry because he was killed by some idiot speeding.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

My condolences.
    I know what it's like to lose a loved one to an idiot behind a wheel.
    I hope the driver is delivered justice.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Terribly sorry for your loss Technoid.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Sorry for your loss...
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

My sincere condolences.
          FT.

Comment

My condolences, Technoid Very sorry for your loss.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks, I really appreciate it

Now on to more info:
              The guy responsible is known, he's an habitual speeder and he was texting at the time of the accident.... hopefully it will be looong time before he's ever behind the wheel of anything with an engine, if ever...
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
                Thanks, I really appreciate it

Now on to more info:
                The guy responsible is known, he's an habitual speeder and he was texting at the time of the accident.... hopefully it will be looong time before he's ever behind the wheel of anything with an engine, if ever...
                My condolences.

How are Sweden's laws on this? is it easy to lose your driving license for a long time? what about D.U.I. ?

Comment

My condolences.

Comment

I'm very sorry for your loss.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                      My condolences.

How are Sweden's laws on this? is it easy to lose your driving license for a long time? what about D.U.I. ?
                      as per my quick recheck it vill probably be Reckless driving and Causing another persons death (and perhaps aggravated on both counts since he was speeding and texting and he couldent have been ignorant to the great amount of accidents that had already happened).

In sweden drivers licences are handled by the transport authority and they basicly reserves the right to withdraw your drivers licence for any arcane reasons,

Here I'm conflicted, while all and any direct traffic related crimes should have the potential to void your drivers licence I really don't think loosing your drivers licence should be an bonus penalty for any crime the transport authority thinks is nefarious enough...

and then aparantly its scale is 1 month to max 3 years and I think you have to do all the tests again as if you never had a licence if its withdrawn for more than a year.

Comment

Our deepest condolences at your loss

I certainly hope they throw the book at the perp - he deserves every bit of it.

In these parts he'd get hit with vehicular homicide, which can result in up to 20 years hard time, or under some circumstances 2nd degree murder and up to their natural life.
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
                          Here I'm conflicted, while all and any direct traffic related crimes should have the potential to void your drivers licence I really don't think loosing your drivers licence should be an bonus penalty for any crime the transport authority thinks is nefarious enough...
                          Sure, that's what fines, community service(?) and prison are for. But how about voiding the license as a safety measure for remaining road users?
                          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Sorry about your Grandad.

Losing his licence for this kind of guy wouldn't make any difference, he would simply drive without one! I don't know what he would get in this country: probably 3 points added and "falling down the stairs" at the cop shop. In Switzerland, it would probably be a long custodial sentence, possibly 8-12 years, and banned driving for life, especially if he had a record of driving offences.
                            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Exactly. The guy who killed my son had a suspended license, and a terrible driving record.
                              He did a total of about a year in jail, and has 4.5 years of probation to go.
                              Idiots are idiots, and don't care if they have a license or not.
                              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                              X