Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So what's our Rank now?

Default So what's our Rank now?

You've got quite a bit of members with some good machines going strong.
    Ever thought you'd get this far?

Hopefully our team will find the cure to mad cow's disease! lol
    Is your computer on right now? If so, then are you using the CPU to it's full capacity? If not the install boinc, and join the matrox users Rosetta@home team and help to find a cure for the incurables, plus it's good clean free fun! (and it'll help the team gain in the ranks)

Quote Originally Posted by ZokesPro View Post
    You've got quite a bit of members with some good machines going strong.
    Ever thought you'd get this far?

Hopefully our team will find the cure to mad cow's disease! lol
    Top 100 if I'm not mistaken. Sitting at 77 I believe.

J1NG

Yes, 6 active members. Of all the others, Zokes, you were the first. And since recently, you are #2 in speed. I was more hoping for a cure for Alzheimer first or lungcancer but I'll settle for an order where MCD comes first. Especially if MURC does the groundbreaking WU, we'd get a Nobel Prize!

78 by speed (Recent Average Credit), but: three teams are going to overtake us in between 191 and 720 days. This must stop! http://www.boincsynergy.com/stats/ov...rah&team=11265

We can always use more members. I do not understand why still so many are working on S@H, has anything ever been found (aside from a stolen laptop?)
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Will see if I can't come in and give a temporary hand for a bit.

J1NG

Quote Originally Posted by Umfriend View Post
    Yes, 6 active members. Of all the others, Zokes, you were the first. And since recently, you are #2 in speed. I was more hoping for a cure for Alzheimer first or lungcancer but I'll settle for an order where MCD comes first. Especially if MURC does the groundbreaking WU, we'd get a Nobel Prize!

78 by speed (Recent Average Credit), but: three teams are going to overtake us in between 191 and 720 days. This must stop! http://www.boincsynergy.com/stats/ov...rah&team=11265

We can always use more members. I do not understand why still so many are working on S@H, has anything ever been found (aside from a stolen laptop?)
    My collegue at work found an unidentified asteroid about 10 years ago, but seti uses your GPU and I take it that many gamers would rather join seti than rosetta.

I see my new server is getting quite an impressive RAC!
    Is your computer on right now? If so, then are you using the CPU to it's full capacity? If not the install boinc, and join the matrox users Rosetta@home team and help to find a cure for the incurables, plus it's good clean free fun! (and it'll help the team gain in the ranks)

So I thought I'd give this a bit of a go, after all, my PC is on most days for most of the day and it may as well be doing something useful when I'm not actually using it.
    That being said, Holy Crap BOINC etc heats up your CPU!!!!!!
    Now, I'm in Australia and it is reasonably warm here at the moment, the CPU is idling at 44c (it's 30c in the room), but I went out to get a drink and when I came back it was doing the screensaver thing, I moved the mouse and then saw the warning that my CPU was hot...It was at 86c!, within 2 minutes of suspending the WU, it was back at 44c so it's definitely BOINC etc that is doing it, is that normal or have I set something up weird?

[edit] The PC in my signature isn't the one I'm using anymore, I just haven't updated it yet, it's a 2600k i7 that isn't overclocked. [/edit]
    Last edited by Delany; 30th March 2013 at 05:07.
    ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

For a non overclocked 2600k i7, that sounds a bit high actually. What's your cooling setup?

J1NG

There's my issue. As I've never had a problem with temps before I've never changed from the standard intel heatsink and fan. I'm guessing BOINC puts more pressure on the setup than running modern games at 1920*1200 with crossfire 6850s. Which would make sense given it's pushing the CPU more than they would.
    From memory, the furthest the cpu has reached before was about 65, so if I'm going to help with this, it looks like it's time to change the cooling setup, been meaning to for a while now, but never had the motivation.
    I can perhaps see a Corsair Hydro Series H80i in my PCs future...
    ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

You'll probably see the temps drop to 60-70 (closer to 70) then when on full whack with the Boinc client running with the Hydro. Especially with the ambient environment temps you're quoting. But much better than the 86c you're seeing.

J1NG

You could also limit BOINC to use, say, 3 cores (I think it will see 8, 4+4HT) and temps should be fine even if ambient 30C. But yeah, if anything can get your CPU to draw its TDP, R@H may well be it.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Quote Originally Posted by Delany View Post
    So I thought I'd give this a bit of a go, after all, my PC is on most days for most of the day and it may as well be doing something useful when I'm not actually using it.
    That being said, Holy Crap BOINC etc heats up your CPU!!!!!!
    Now, I'm in Australia and it is reasonably warm here at the moment, the CPU is idling at 44c (it's 30c in the room), but I went out to get a drink and when I came back it was doing the screensaver thing, I moved the mouse and then saw the warning that my CPU was hot...It was at 86c!, within 2 minutes of suspending the WU, it was back at 44c so it's definitely BOINC etc that is doing it, is that normal or have I set something up weird?

[edit] The PC in my signature isn't the one I'm using anymore, I just haven't updated it yet, it's a 2600k i7 that isn't overclocked. [/edit]
    Both my Xeons run at 74C (full load) and all I have is a passive copper heatsinks with one huge 140mm fan blowing on both heatsinks, but the air isn't going anything inside the case.

But my current setup isn't good at all, they are still in my modfied 1U case that needs blowers instead of fans, but none the less, your setup seems to run a little hot even compared to a bad setup like mine. (can't wait till I receive my new case)

Even just reseating the heatsink and cleaning the cpu and heatsink before re-applying thermal paste might drop the temps down 10-15C.

Before I reseated my heatsinks on my server, the system would boot once every 2-3 times I powered it on. But now the system is fast and stable.

And we got another two members. Way to go Zokes! This is getting more and more fun. Just hope degrub, Marshmallowman and, someday, Maggi will activate again.

Well, I've set it to use 50% of the processor at the most, it seems to sit at around 60c now so I'm ok with that until I change my cooling setup. The PC doesn't run 24/7 so it won't pump out WUs constantly, but even if it puts out a couple here and there, it's better than nothing. I've also set up BOINC running as a service on my 2003SBS Server that does run 24/7 so even though it's only a P4 3.06, it will get through them reasonably well. If i can convince my wife to let me get it running on her PC then there will be some more WUs that get done as her PC runs most of the day but isn't really used that much by her.

Hrmm, 3 PCs, 1 running 24/7 and the other 2 running probably 14ish/7, no wonder our power bills can be "interesting" although I think that may be the shitting airconditioning units we have

Bored Yet?

Uhm, I appreciate any credits we gain. No need to run 24/7. Thanks for anything. In winter it may be more attractive for you to really run WUs.

No need to run 24/7 if that is extremely impossible even though I do it! ;-)

@Umfriend: No need to thank me, they cam on their own, but I am glad they did. I'd love to see more members though.

On another note, my dual Xeon RAC beat Tx's AMD 8 core! I underestimated the po wer of Xeons. And given enough time I will reach third in no time. If you sort by RAC, I'm already third!

Food for thought, I spent a fraction of what most paid for just their CPU!

Thread Information