Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New forum software

Quote Originally Posted by Pace View Post
    Also, where are you in NSW Delany?
    I'm in a little country town in the Hunter Valley about 3 and a half hours from Sydney up the New England Highway (it's actually half way between Newcastle and Tamworth) if that makes any sense at all...
    ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Testing, Testing, 123...
    Looks nice.
    Thanks for all the work Dan.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Actually, I liked the previous look much better. I don't know why everyone is so intent on, what is the word, embossing? I like things functionally designed. I will never get over the UI-changes from office 2003 to 2007 and recently had my first awkward (none touch) experience with W8.

Anyway, I know it's not you Dan. How do I transfer a little contribution? I have PayPal thesedays ;-)
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

The new software does not seem bad... Even the look is ok (doesn't feel like too much embossing to me: all the buttons, etc are "flat")...

I do agree that e.g. in the UI changes from office 2003 to 2007, something was wrong... too rounded... too much smoothed to be nice, it felt over-designed.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Basically each layout update increases spacing/margins/etc. at the expense of post contents. This is a degradation of usability vs. 'eye candy' (which is highly subjective in the first place). I guess to improve this we'll need to edit/hack the CSS a bit (would be nice to have multiple CSS selectable in the user profile, e.g. the default one and a 'minimal eye candy' one).

Quote Originally Posted by dZeus View Post
    Basically each layout update increases spacing/margins/etc. at the expense of post contents. This is a degradation of usability vs. 'eye candy'.
    Thank you, that is the main issue I have with this and many (like the Office 2003->2007) other "design ****provements". Also, less contrast, to me, somehow makes it harder to navigate my eyes quickly, it just feels like I'm slower and more, uhm, searching.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Quote Originally Posted by Umfriend View Post
    ...somehow makes it harder to navigate my eyes quickly, it just feels like I'm slower and more, uhm, searching.
    Well, we are all getting older you know...
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Mutiple theme's are more than doable, the problem has always been in someone having to create all of them.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

I've had a few requests, for those of you who wish to 'kick the tin' (donate) dan at sasqs dot com will get to my paypal

Cheers, and thanks for the offers

Danny
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

hrm... nice job Sasq! Looks like you didn't break TO much!
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasq View Post
    Delany: Jessy was responsible for the last round of UI tweaking, as he can attest, I have the design sense of a rock
    I wouldn't say a "rock" necessarily...

Not sure I have the time to doing any theme work, but ping me if you want me to do another logo or such. Or if anyone spots a nice theme on one of the vBulletin theme sites, I'd gladly pitch in to pay for it. Some sites I know of are: purevb.com, completevb.com, vbstyles.com, and themeforest.net
    Last edited by Jessterw; 15th March 2013 at 18:58.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

'granite'? , 'pumice'?

Thanks Jessie (trying for speeeling this time), and thanks for the little pressie too.
    Back end on the themes is the same, old theme is still in there just disabled.
    How vBB does things hasn't changed, the amount of new cruft in the theme on the other hand...
    Juu nin to iro

I was thinking big ball of fur perhaps?

Here's a quick 2 minute little logo for this current theme to get rid of the vB one. It's transparent, so it'd work with any background color. I'm not on my main machine so I don't have any of the fancy fonts handy that I otherwise have access to.

murc.png
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

'boom'
    Juu nin to iro

That was fast! Not even a SoonTM
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Thread Information