New Router and Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Router and Questions

I need some advise from the Experts here.... Since I don't keep up with all the new Network developments.

Since the wife and I have a bunch of new toys that can use wireless, so, I finally upgraded my 4 year old Router.
    I just got a Linksys EA4500 - N900 Router since the price dropped from 199.99 to 159.99.

In the past I setup two networks - One for "G", 2.4 GHz and another for "N", 5GHz because on my old Router if I just had one mixed network the one device that connected with "G" would slow down the entire network for the laptops etc. with "N" adapters.
    I'm not sure if the new Routers support a true mixed dual band and I can just setup one mixed Network for all our wireless devices without it defaulting to the slower "G" speed.

So, out of habit I did setup two separate networks one for "G" and another for "N".
    All the "G" devices that would not see the "N" network were connected the the "G" network at 54 GBps.

So, tonight I did something different and changed the 2.4GHz "G" network to "Mixed"...
    And now my mini laptop, tablet and cell phones which still only detect the 2.4GHz network are running faster at 65-72GHZ.

My main concern is that my DVD player gets a strong "N" signal for streaming movies from Netflix while the slower devices are connected to the network.

Any advise would be appreciated here..
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Smaller devices, like phones and tablets, generally only operate on a single WiFi antenna on the 2.4GHz spectrum. This is commonnly done as a battery saving measure, and sometimes a cost saving measure. Some of the low-end laptop WiFi NICs, especially the RaLink pieces of utter garbage, are single antenna 2.4 GHz WiFi devices as well.

Running mixed a/b/g/n on a single frequency should not pose any troubles with the moden routers. My ASUS RT-N56U runs both 2.4GHz and 5GHz in mixed mode with no issues for about 2 years now.

Also done away on newer routers is the problem with all the devices running at the slowest connected speed. Your modern WAP's can each negotiate and maintain their own speeds independent of any other connected device.

One last word of advice, if you have a mini-PCIe RaLink card in a laptop get rid of the POS and upgrade to an Intel WiFi adapter. The top-of-the-line Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 WiFi NIC with 3x3 MIMO antenna, a/b/g/n support and both fequencies, is about $35 and will make a world of difference in connection speed and stability.

My wife's laptop came with a RaLink and she was constantly getting disconnects and slow connections. Upgraded to the Intel wNIC and I haven't heard a complaint since.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Cool!!

My mini laptop has the qualcomm atheros ar9485 which is a 2.4GHz POS...LOL!!!

Thanks Jammers, that fills in the gaps for me...
      Last edited by ALBPM; 19 January 2013, 09:02.
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I just got the Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 installed but only had a single antenna wire on the Qualcom card. Fortunately I should get the two more antenna wires delivered tomorrow.

This network card is a beast I can get up to the 450 Mbps for a bit but with only one antenna it drops to 150 Mbps.... Arrrr

Comment

Them antennas make a huge difference. gotta love 3x3 excellent multipath rejection with superior sensitivity

Haven't felt much of a need to upgrade my old DLink 655 which runs N only 2.4 dual channel 300mbps and have two more tagged off for G only. One's SSID is "stoprunningonmyceiling" lol

Ditto on that Ralink caca

Paul, want to see impressive? Make a triple transmission line, sensitivity is boosted by over 20db. Coplanar is another very high gain easy to make with your skill set with coax and the appropriate sma connector. Just a though
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I use "This Network Has No Name" for my SSID
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

My brother-in-law uses "yourneighborswifi"
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

I once read on the internet a guy setting the SSID to "hackthisifyoucan". The next day, it was changed to "challengeaccepted"
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                X