New mini laptop with Touch Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New mini laptop with Touch Screen

I just got a ASUS Q200e on Monday so have been learning how to navigate through Windows8. I already installed the classic interface....

Details in the link.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Superi...200E/#overview

I needed a small laptop for music etc.. that I can connect to my Denon Receiver with a USB cable. With a 500Gb HD I have plenty of room for my music library.

I saw this at Best Buy a few weeks ago and couldn't quit thinking about the convenience of having a Touch Screen and fairly descent key board all in one for the price.
    Plus this is small and fits on my stereo cabinet easily.

For $455 on eBay I couldn't resist. Retails for $499.99 at Best Buy.
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Nice. I've been tinkering with a music server myself. Being the freak I am it would be a home brewed solution though.

You should look into adding a Schiit DAC. And yes, it's pronounced like you think. They have a $99 USB DAC that I've been thinking about buying. There are higher end models too. I haven't listened to one myself, but every review I've read say they are awesome, especially for the price.

Their website is pretty funny. The cable page especially. It's some good Schiit.

Have you ever poked around ComputerAudiophile.com? Good place to look for computer audio solutions.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

If you like to tinker with computers and would like to stream to your amplifier from remote, take a look at
      - Shairport (iTunes Airplay renderer)
      - Rygel (UPNP/DLNA renderer)
      - PulseAudio (for streaming of all sound from a single device and for BlueTooth audio streaming)

Comment

The Receiver has it's own DAC and works great. I have a 500Gb external drive connected right now. it even displays the folder structure on the TV.

I figure it will be easier to setup custom playlists on the laptop and just plug and play through the receiver.

nice Schiit Jammers....LOL!!!!

"Quality cables to make your Schiit sound good"
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I got my parents the same one (S200E) at Christmas. I think they are pretty pleased with it.
          Did you get the Core i3? Theirs sadly is the one below but still perfect for their use.

I've also bought a couple of Win8 Pro laptops for colleagues, non-touch. Not having touch is a PITA.
          FT.

Comment

Yes, the Q200e has the i3 3217U processor.

I don't think the system memory is upgradeable. I remember reading somwhere that it is soldered to the mother board. These would run better with 8Gb rather than the 4Gb.

Comment

4GB should be enough to run a music server with no problems. Unless you have bloatware on there. Especially with Windows 8, which has a smaller memory footprint then Windows 7.

Just remember that Task Manager adds the used memory, plus the OS cache, and subtracts it from total physical memory to get the free/available RAM. It may say 1GB free, but you'll have ~1.7GB in OS cache that will be freed when needed.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                4GB should be enough to run a music server with no problems. Unless you have bloatware on there. Especially with Windows 8, which has a smaller memory footprint then Windows 7.

Just remember that Task Manager adds the used memory, plus the OS cache, and subtracts it from total physical memory to get the free/available RAM. It may say 1GB free, but you'll have ~1.7GB in OS cache that will be freed when needed.

Ok, I have installed Avira Anitvirus premium and Office 2010. it seems to run nicely.
                The only downside is it looks fragile. The glass for the screen goes out to the edge and not
                protected very well.

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM View Post
                  Ok, I have installed Avira Anitvirus premium and Office 2010. it seems to run nicely.
                  The only downside is it looks fragile. The glass for the screen goes out to the edge and not
                  protected very well.
                  Win 8 Pro has some a/v built in but after reading a recent roundup in PC Pro I opted to install Avast Free. I have also added Office 2010.

They've had a couple of crashes but the thing is generally pretty responsive.
                  FT.

Comment

I finally got an SSD cloned and installed in the little laptop.

This was an ordeal of sorts.... Most of these new mini systems that have a UEFI booting use GPT partitioning for the HD. I must have tried six different cloning programs before doing a search and finding a program called HDclone freeware version.

This finally worked!!!! http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html#free

So, if your new system has an EFI Bios the HD will probably have GTP partitions and can't be cloned by older programs.

Comment

Why not just use Linux and dd for cloning? I use that all the time.

Comment

Working...
                      X