Smartphone thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smartphone thread

So what smartphones are you guys running nowadays?

Like everyone else, I picked up a Galaxy S3. Great phone.

Currently running a, now ancient, Galaxy S...just an S. Wife has an HTC Arrive (Windows Phone 7.5 w/ slide-out QWERTY).

The Man (Microsoft) is giving all employees a new Windows Phone 8 this Fall/Winter so the Arrive will be departing. Currently looking at the Nokia Lumia 920 as my WP8 replacement. The Samsung Ativ looks pretty nice too, but the screen and camera on the 920 will probably make Nokia the winner.

Don't know what I'll replace my Galaxy S with yet. The Galaxy S is with Sprint, which currently does not offer Windows Phone. As a former employee of Sprint I get a nearly unlimited smartphone plan for $50/months, so there's no chance I'll drop that line any time soon. I'll probably end up with a Galaxy S IV, which is already rumored to launch in March 2013 (right in time for my 2-year refresh).
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
      Currently running a, now ancient, Galaxy S...just an S.
      My previous phone was an original S series (Samsung Epic). It was ok.

Wife has an HTC Arrive (Windows Phone 7.5 w/ slide-out QWERTY).
      I've been hearing really good things about the MS phones.

The Man (Microsoft) is giving all employees a new Windows Phone 8 this Fall/Winter so the Arrive will be departing. Currently looking at the Nokia Lumia 920 as my WP8 replacement. The Samsung Ativ looks pretty nice too, but the screen and camera on the 920 will probably make Nokia the winner.

Don't know what I'll replace my Galaxy S with yet. The Galaxy S is with Sprint, which currently does not offer Windows Phone. As a former employee of Sprint I get a nearly unlimited smartphone plan for $50/months, so there's no chance I'll drop that line any time soon. I'll probably end up with a Galaxy S IV, which is already rumored to launch in March 2013 (right in time for my 2-year refresh).
      Wow, that would be nice. What are the rumored specs for the S4?

Comment

Not a lot on the S4 yet. Samsung let it slip to try and cut into iPhone sales. The lawsuits have Samsung on a PR offensive against Apple. So far the only reliable details are Feb/Mar 2013 release, 5" display, "faster processor", and 4G LTE.

Windows Phone 8 should be really nice. I haven't played with it yet, but with WP8 and Windows RT sharing the same kernel and dev tools the app support should roll in rather fast.

Last edited by Jammrock; 17 September 2012, 17:58.

Comment

• Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman (for my Polish number, got it one year ago when I moved from prepaid to subscription): it was the cheapest Android phone for my subscription. And it has a front camera (great for skype).
          • Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini pro (for my Belgian number): I bought it new and without simlock over 1.5 years ago, as replacement for my HTC TyTN whose battery failed.
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

That S3 vs i5 image is great (though a bit biased).

@VJ - How often do you travel between both countries?

Comment

BB9900. Love it.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

@Kooldino: Not as often as I would like to... And I know it would be cheaper to have just one, but there are some added benefits to having two numbers (difficult to explain).
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

He, you got two girlfriends. That ain't hard for us to understand.
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I have Motorola Droid X2 that I really like.
                    For some reason though, it seems to be the red-headed stepchild of Motorola/Google

No Ice Cream Sandwich for me
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                      I have Motorola Droid X2 that I really like.
                      For some reason though, it seems to be the red-headed stepchild of Motorola/Google

No Ice Cream Sandwich for me
                      Don't lose all hope. Cyanogenmod is working on an ICS port for the Droid X2. The build is currently in beta.

DRAGONZKILLER PROUDLY PRESENTS: CyanogenMod 9.0.0-DROIDX2-BETA1 UPGRADING FROM ALPHA 4 OR LOWER REQUIRES A DATA WIPE!!! Features: For a list of features added to ICS please go to the Android website...

I run Cyanogenmod 9 (ICS) on my Epic 4G. These guy make better builds than your carrier does, once they reach the stable channel at least.

Comment

Thanks, certainly seems active.
                        236 pages of posts!
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                          @Kooldino: Not as often as I would like to... And I know it would be cheaper to have just one, but there are some added benefits to having two numbers (difficult to explain).
                          I get it. One for your wife and one for your girlfriend.

Comment

HTC EVO 3D. Didn't buy it for the 3D, my previous phone was an HTC and loved it - and this was the only newer HTC my carrier had at the time. Awesome phone.
                            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Droid Razor Maxx - Love that extended battery ..
                              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                              X