X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We in our household have 3 Android, 1 Winmo 6.1, 2 Samsung OS
    paulw

Comment

I am a company of one and I have my own Exchange server. I just sent an email from my company account from my E52 and it shows up in sent in my Outlook. I could do that with my Nokia 6120 classic 4 years ago already.

You can get SBS 2011 and entry level HP server for 1500-2000 EUR with VAT. I can support it cheaply if you can't. :P

The really cool thing about Exchange is I'm a big fan of Getting things done. I even purchased a pdf on how to pimp your Outlook for GTD. So for example I have ongoing task shopping where I put stuff that I should buy eventually and when I'm about I sync the tasks from Exchange to my phone and see for example I should purchase some LAN cables and batteries and that I should get refills for my fountain pen or maybe buttons or shoe laces or birthday present. The point of GTD is capturing and then grouping tasks. For instance while you're doing errands you do all your other nonessential errands, while you're doing stuff on computer you do all your computer online or offline tasks. All your tasks go in inbox and then you cathegorize them and can forget about them since you have them all written down.

Another cool thing about your own server is: If you use ISP or gmail/yahoo/msn your email often ends up in spam. If you are job hunting or want to send something private you want no one else to read chances are better if you send it from your own Exchange with properly configured PTR and SPF records it will arrive. It is very easy for someone to read your corporate email though this is illegal in my country (Few weeks ago I spent 3 hours in official hearing before information commission officer because some woman who no longer work at some customers had her account disabled for a few months after she left - no one read her emails, email arrived in disabled mailbox and she had a month to sort through it after she was notified.) Still even if it's illegal to read your email it's easy and I've seen it done.
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 22 February 2012, 13:19.

Comment

The "mother" company of the one I work for is issuing Iphones to everyone so I might get one.

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
        [blatant company pimpage]

If you use Microsoft Exchange as your backend mail server you can do this with all the major platforms (WP/WM, Android, iPhone) through the built-in exchange connector. Your inbox, and folders created under inbox, are kept on a storage backend which you can access from your phone, the web or Outlook. Whatever you do in one spot is done on all of them.

For a company of 4 it probably doesn't make sense to have your own exchange server, but there are a lot of hosted Exchange solutions. Office 365 is Microsoft's hosted Exchange, which is $5/user/month for Exchange only and $6/user/month if you want Office online, shared online (cloud) storage, and all sorts of fancy extras.

[/blatant company pimpage]
        And the general IT situation is a total cluster@£$#¤ (disaster is a to puny word). they don't have an IT section (if you don't count the owners son ). While the computers are networked they don't have a domain, run most stuff on consumer computers bought cheap from the local electronics supermarket, all mail is pop, files are saved to the local computers. backup...whats that? (thumbdrives does not count!).

A few years ago they hired a consultant to "fix" their it infrastructure, the result was a web based collaborating software running on an server somewhere that works so good people still save files locally on their computers, the abomination is probably wide open to the net.
        That a disaster hasnt happened yet is amazing...

Them getting an exchange server would be GREAT! (and a server 2008, a domain, etc etc)
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I've seen companies where the phone of the CEO is worth more than the main company server where all email and data resides.

Comment

I'm an iOS user, only because I had a Blackberry Storm (OS 5.0) and it was the most horrible experience I have ever had in any phone I ever owned.
            Also my car has an iPOD interface which allows me to select music from playlists and so on.

There is no Android phone interface for BMW's yet. Only BB and iPhones.

Comment

Android. The only other one I would consider is iOS. I like to be able to mess with my phone and to have an app for what I need.

Even at work we moved away from Blackberry. There is a server running that only the highest execs that already had one use. This will be phased out shortly since all the exchange upgrades have finished. There will be a new encrypted client that will make it easy to support just about any device safely work provided or not. Oh look, you're no longer with the company. Client self destructs.

There are still some Windows Mobile phones but no one wants them. People are almost happy when those break as they have justification for a new phone.

Don't know anything about Symbian yet.

Comment

All Android phones in my household, though I'd be just as happy with an iPhone.

My wife had the first Android phone, the G1 (HTC), but I held off for awhile because I still felt like smartphones sucked and didn't really offer me anything that I needed. A few people here can attest to my "I just want to make calls" mentality. When I finally made the leap, I got the cheapest Android phone available on T-Mobile, a myTouch (HTC). It looks horribly outdated now (just as much as the G1 does), but it worked well enough that I was all but hooked.

Fast forward a bit and the wife and I both upgraded to the G2 (HTC), which, save for the keyboard hinges, has really good build quality. Mine took a dive not so long ago and I got a good price on a Samsung Galaxy S. Cheap feeling build quality, but it's lightweight and thin (being sans keyboard). The biggest difference for me though, was that the Galaxy S is the first Android phone I've owned that isn't stock Android, which I'm reminded of every time I use it.

If T-Mobile (US) had originally had the iPhone, I probably would have gotten that, largely because I prefer some of the design choices Apple made with it (I still love my original iPod Touch), but there's a lot I really like about Android as well, especially with Ice Cream Sandwich (which my phone is not being upgraded to for no good reason).

I've had to hobble together and subvert my companies IT department to sync my phone with our Exchange server. Only way you can get permitted access is via a BB. I'll stop now lest I start ranting about our IT department (which technically I am a part of even if I am a developer).
                “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Still using the Samsung Omnia HD which is S60v5. A very good phone for all my needs, sadly i'll be without it from next week. My gf wants it for herself ( she doesn't want a new phone, God knows why, she'd rather i get a new phone for myself). Leaning towards Android for my new phone next month. With so many choices, i'm undecided. Samsung, HTC or Motorola? LTE or just 3G? Dilemma because i don't like to change phones often. the omnia was just my 3rd phone in the last 12 yrs!

Android would be IMHO a good choice for the foreseeable future.
                  Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                  ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                    There is no Android phone interface for BMW's yet. Only BB and iPhones.
                    Doesn't it support bluetooth A2DP? I can stream from any A2DP compatible phone to my car system (Kenwood DNX8220), with it being controlled on the car. The controls are less rich though than for the iPod control, but it works fine.
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

If I were infinitely rich instead of living off a retirement pension, I'm pretty sure I'd go the Samsung route. While waiting to win the lottery, I'll stick with my €39 pseudo-Blackberry. I like the tactile keyboard, even with my ham fists, and find it easier to use (symbols, accents, changing case) than using the number keys on my prehistoric Nokia.
                      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                        >
                        Here most typical blackberry user is a teenage girl....
                        In the US a lot of news organizations and people working in the Federal govt. use them because of the full keyboard; reporters liked it for sending news flashes to their editors. That said, a lot of news folks started moving to iPhone with the 4.
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 February 2012, 02:25.
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

LOL. I would like a Galaxy Note.
                          Apparently Scott Adams wouldn't

Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

My general rule for choosing a phone based on screen size is whether I can access elements on the screen using my thumb while holding it one handed. The iPhone is absolutely perfect in this regard, though I do think it would be well served with a larger display for other reasons. The Galaxy S I have is about as big as I think I could deal with.
                            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                              Doesn't it support bluetooth A2DP? I can stream from any A2DP compatible phone to my car system (Kenwood DNX8220), with it being controlled on the car. The controls are less rich though than for the iPod control, but it works fine.
                              True, but my car doesn't have built in Blue tooth

Comment

One old WM6 and 4 androids.

Latest phone SGS2 Epic 4g Touch, rooted running Blazer 4.0 + 32g of sdhc
                                Gotta love that Super AMOLED+ 4.52" display.
                                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X