X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Am Legend (sequel)

Deadline....

Warner Bros Plans More ‘I Am Legend’ With Will Smith

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has closed deals with Akiva Goldsman and Overbrook Entertainment to produce another installment of I Am Legend, the 2007 hit film. The intention is for Will Smith to reprise his role as scientist Robert Neville, who was the last man on Earth doing battle with a mutated mob in New York City after an apocalyptic man-made virus wiped out the population. A deal was made with Arash Amel to write the script. The film is not being called a prequel, which had been rumored for the past few years. But clearly Warner Bros sees more room to roam on a film that grossed $584 million worldwide. The original film is based on the novel by Richard Matheson.

Smith won’t commit until the script is ready and I haven’t heard yet where I Am Legend director Francis Lawrence stands on the whole thing. The other quandary is this: If it isn’t a prequel, how to get past Smith’s character’s demise at the first film’s end? These of course are semantics in the tentpole game. Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures are casting a continuation of 300, another hit film where all the major characters croaked. Amel is a hot scribe; his script Grace Of Monaco, the film about Grace Kelly that will be directed by La Vie En Rose‘s Olivier Dahan with Pierre-Ange Le Pogam producing and financing, has all the young actresses salivating. Buyers are also waiting to pounce. CAA made the deals.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I can't remember if we actually saw Neville die onscreen?
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
      I can't remember if we actually saw Neville die onscreen?
      Of course not. You can't have a sequel if the hero dies. Heroes are, after all, explosion proof. That's a Hollywood requirement.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The original Will Smith film kind missed the point of Dr. Neville being a legend. As I remember he was a legend amongst those turned as he tortured them with his experiments to "cure" them. The alternate ending at least hinted at him realizing what he had done.

Comment

In the book, as I understand it, Dr Neville was a legend because he was the last human. A sort of legendary monster among the community, like a yeti or bigfoot to us.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

You're both correct. I don't recall him necessarily being a doctor (been awhile since I read the book), but it was his reputation among the new species that he had, essentially, hunted, would be the thing of legend after he was dead. He realizes that he was as strange to them as they were to him, but yet no so different after all.

Even without the alternate ending I thought I caught glimpses of the "not so different" part at the end of the Will Smith movie. Honestly though, given the nature of new species in that film, I didn't really feel like the alternate ending was plausible.

But yeah, not sure how they will explain him not being ripped to shreds from that grenade in such a confined space.
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
              But yeah, not sure how they will explain him not being ripped to shreds from that grenade in such a confined space.
              Wasn't he behind a clear barrier? That could have been ALON - aka transparent aluminum. That stuff can stop a .50 caliber armor piercing round cold & turn it into dust.

Surmet's ALON® Transparent Armor also has shown excellent environmental durability in scratch and rock strike resistance stemming from 3x hardness of glass a...
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 February 2012, 22:26.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well, except... here's the ending:

Comment

The barrier broke and then the grenade went off. They all dead except the woman and child.
                  Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 20 February 2012, 16:24.

Comment

there were two endings, one he died and the other he managed to escape with the woman and child.

Comment

Well one was an alternate ending, but I guess they could retcon it and say that was the actual ending. I'm really not sure what a sequel would be besides yet another vampire/zombie movie without the premise of the first.

Not that I would mind

Comment

Thelma & Louise 2 is coming as well.
                        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Where we discover that they drove off the cliff and onto the top of a alien spacecraft that had been hiding in the canyon.

Comment

Working...
                          X