NASA wants a very unusual computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA wants a very unusual computer

This is not your average single-board computer, with specs beyond the norm even for manned or most unmanned missions. Odd.

Since the boards for the Orion should already be set I can't help but think this is for the Space Exploration Vehicle (SEV) space pod. That or the crewed follow-on the the X-37B.

NASA JSC Solicitation: Single Board Computer For SpaceSynopsis - Jan 25, 2012

General Information
    Solicitation Number: NNJ12421704R
    Posted Date: Jan 25, 2012
    FedBizOpps Posted Date: Jan 25, 2012
    Recovery and Reinvestment Act Action: No
    Original Response Date: Feb 08, 2012
    Current Response Date: Feb 08, 2012
    Classification Code: 59 -- Electrical and electronic equipment components
    NAICS Code: 334111
    Set-Aside Code: Total Small Business

Contracting Office Address

NASA/Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, Houston Texas, 77058-3696, Mail Code: BH

Description

NASA/JSC has a requirement for a Single Board Computer for Space with the ability to clear errors in 1mS to meet the time to first failure estimate of 3 thousand years. This fidelity in error correction is necessary to meet the expected level of redundancy for a human rated spacecraft. A market survey indicates that Maxwell has the only commercially available singe board computer that will meet the Government's requirements.

Maxwell Technologies has an existing single board computer with flight pedigree and flight heritage. It implements Triple Redundant Processing Single Event Upset(SEU) Mitigation. Triple Mode Redundant (TMR) voting logic and Error Detection combined with Maxwell's proprietary Resynchronization & Scrubbing method allows all three processors to clear errors in 1 mS.

The Government intends to acquire a commercial item using FAR Part 12.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 31 January 2012, 23:28.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Interesting to note, after looking at the system specs for that board, how little computing power (by today's standards) is actually needed for spaceflight. The big-money issues are rapid error correction and radiation shielding.

The Government intends to acquire a commercial item using FAR Part 12.
    Not trying to develop it in-house? Maybe there's hope for NASA yet.

Comment

OK, so that one is supposed to run for at least 3,000 years (each and every one of them)?
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

That's what they say. Thing is that kind of reliability is unusual even for probes to high radiation environments like Jupiter, Saturn or near the sun. But for a human rated spacecraft?

Don't worry - a lot of aerospace engineers are scratching their heads too.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

nah, nothing that sophisticated. An engineer just wrote a spec to guarantee using Maxwell. Plus the Fault tree probably required that PFD to meet the overall realiability requirements. Think of the 5 computers running the shuttle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            That's what they say. Thing is that kind of reliability is unusual even for probes to high radiation environments like Jupiter, Saturn or near the sun. But for a human rated spacecraft?

Don't worry - a lot of aerospace engineers are scratching their heads too.

remember there was an initiative announced for a 100 mission spacecraft not long ago
            http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...tellar-travel/

might be related to that project they are ramping up for
            Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

The 100 Year Starship program got a skipper a few weeks ago; former astronaut and serious Trekker Mae Jemison.

You may have heard by now about the 100 Year Starship project, a new research initiative to develop the technology required to send a manned mission to another star. The project is jointly sponsored by NASA and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). It will take that long just to make such a trip feasible, hence the name. So we’re a long ways off from naming any crew members or a starship captain, but the project itself does have a new leader, a former astronaut.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 February 2012, 22:05.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

A computer to last 3000 years ?
                They're building a Space Ark, and we're not invited
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
                X