Metal thievery at a whole new level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal thievery at a whole new level

Tough times so some people are stealing metal & selling it. Happens. Almost expected. But this is something else.....

It’s one of the strangest – and most unwieldy – thefts we’ve ever come across. Police in a small western Pennsylvania town are searching for a missing steel bridge. Salvaging scrap metal is nothing new. But most thieves go for easy targets like piping, gutters and even manhole covers.

Thieves Steal An Entire Metal Bridge in Pennsylvania

It's one of the strangest – and most unwieldy – thefts we've ever come across. Police in a small western Pennsylvania town are searching for a missing steel bridge.

Salvaging scrap metal is nothing new. But most thieves go for easy targets like piping, gutters and even manhole covers. A 50-foot-long bridge made of impossibly heavy steal doesn't quite fit into that same category. But some enterprising criminals managed to haul away the bridge from North Beaver Township, Pa., about 50 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.

The 40-ton bridge, tucked away on an access road at an industrial park in the sparsely populated area near the Ohio border, isn't very heavily trafficked. But its disappearance is obvious, not least because it's worth an estimated $100,000.

The most likely scenario is that the thieves used a blowtorch to cut apart the bridge and haul it away. New Castle Development, who owns the property, remembers the bridge being there on Sept. 27. But sometime in the past 10 days, it disappeared. New Castle Development spokesman Gary Bruce told WFMJ, "I thought that with the rain it got washed away."

But that's quite a tall tale for the bridge that's been standing since the early 1900s. The bridge was lifted off its foundation, marks visible where the metal was spliced from its supports. "Its old beams are probably hundreds and hundreds of pounds per foot," Robert Obed, who lives in the area, told WTAE. But metal thefts aren't uncommon in the area. Coincidentally enough, the bridge was recently closed because of copper thefts nearby.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Okay, I have to admit I didn't take the title seriously. After all, they even steal memorials here, but this... I mean, come on... What's next, the Eiffel tower? The substructure of the statue of liberty?
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

The copper skin of the Statue of Liberty would be worth a fortune! Here, they pinched a couple of bronze busts cast as a family memorial for the twins killed in the 7 July explosion before they were even installed. In the UK, the catenary wires on the railways are a popular target, as are the wires for the signalling systems. At least, we don't have that problem: no railways!
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Local police have been circulating the following drawing.
        Attached Files

Comment

In Belgium signalling cables from the railways are popular targets... Here in Poland it is telephone and internet cables (on the fiber cables they explicitly print it does not contain copper).
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Mostly manhole covers and Train electricity lines stolen here. They throw a grounding cable over the overhead line to short it out, and then nick a few Km's worth.

We had an electrical transformer stolen (disused since about 1 year ago) a couple of hundred feet down the road, about 2 weeks ago. They seemed to smash it out or cut it up for the copper.
            They got the toxic oil it had been bathing in everywhere, and the fire brigade spent the whole day with about 10 different trucks cleaning it up.
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama View Post
              Local police have been circulating the following drawing.
              Nice
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Two charged with stealing Lawrence County bridge

State police have arrested two men accused of stealing a privately owned steel bridge from a secluded area in Lawrence County.

Police said that Benjamin Arthur Jones, 24, and Alexander William Jones, 25, used a torch to tear apart the Covert's Crossing Bridge late last month or early this month. The bridge had been in North Beaver Township since at least the early 1900s and was worth an estimated $100,000.

The Joneses, both from New Castle, were being held in the Lawrence County Prison on $25,000 bail, according to court records. They face felony charges of criminal mischief, theft, receiving stolen property and conspiracy.

A police report did not say whether the men were related and the investigating officers were not available to speak Friday.

Gary Bruce, a spokesman for New Castle Development, which owned the bridge, said after the theft that a nearby business infrequently used the bridge to transport materials and there is another road workers can use in its absence.

Some people in Lawrence County believe Covert's Crossing might have been haunted. The historical society, in a video about haunted spots in the county, says some residents claim that a beautifully dressed woman haunts the bridge on prom night.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                X