Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook and Data Retention, What do they have ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook and Data Retention, What do they have ?

The Forbes article linked below is worth the read, it gives you an example of Two anonymous Europeans, and what data was collected and stored by Facebook.

Image from here : (In French) http://www.gizmodo.fr/2011/09/29/fac...-pareille.html

In English on Gawker :

or Forbes here : http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...of-other-data/

This shows you the steps to get your data sent to you on a CD.

Link to Step 1 - Facebook Contact Site : https://www.facebook.com/help/contac...=data_requests

Seems to be mostly for European Users, but Quebecois apparently have a law also:
    1991, c. 64, a. 38.

LIVRE PREMIER
    DES PERSONNES

TITRE DEUXIÈME
    DE CERTAINS DROITS DE LA PERSONNALITÉ

CHAPITRE TROISIÈME
    DU RESPECT DE LA RÉPUTATION ET DE LA VIE PRIVÉE

38. Sous réserve des autres dispositions de la loi, toute personne peut, gratuitement, consulter et faire rectifier un dossier qu'une autre personne détient sur elle soit pour prendre une décision a son égard, soit pour informer un tiers; elle peut aussi le faire reproduire, moyennant des frais raisonnables. Les renseignements contenus dans le dossier doivent être accessibles dans une transcription intelligible.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

I know what facebook has about me.
    Nothing.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

I'm not on facebook either but I am not confident they've got nothng on me.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

You would be surprised...
        I also thought there was nothing on me on Facebook, but apparently people can indicate friends that are not on Facebook (i.e. via email address). And it links all the ones that list the same email address.
        When I joined, I discovered that it already knew my some of my friends and already made a good suggestion of other people I might know. And that was immediately after registering.
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

You know,that is true. I've gotten friend requests before.
          So I guess they might have my name and an email address.
          Though, I've never gotten an email from them. I have had facebook.com blocked by our router for years. Maybe that explains it.

The facebook thing that puzzles me the most are people who act offended when I don't friend them even though I explain that I can't because I don't have an account.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
          X