SNC Dream Chaser astronaut corps begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNC Dream Chaser astronaut corps begins

Along with a s***load of other NASA personnel (link....) SNC has bagged a major catch to head their astronaut corps....

Sierra Nevada Corp. has hired veteran NASA astronaut Steven W. Lindsey (USAF Ret) as the Director of Flight Operations for the Dream Chaser spaceplane project. As DoFO he will be responsible for activities related to flight testing, flight operations, and crew training,

Lindsey is the former Chief of NASA's Astronaut Office, which he ran for four years, and he is also a veteran of four shuttle missions - most recently as Commander of STS-133, the final flight of Discovery.

NASA bio....

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 July 2011, 21:32.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Cosmic Log had an interesting interview with SNC.

Mostly it covers their signing a Space Act Agreement with NASA that'll give them access to their labs and facilities to speed Dream Chaser's development, but the 6PM update reveals some new info about launch sites etc. and that it can land most anywhere.

NASA's Kennedy Space Center signed a deal today to let Sierra Nevada Corp. use its facilities to develop and launch a mini-shuttle for servicing the International Space Station, beginning as early as 2015.

"This is a really great step toward a bright future for us," NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said at the signing, which took place in the Florida space center's briefing room.

Previous deals have awarded Sierra Nevada $100 million in NASA funds to aid in the development of the company's Dream Chaser, a winged space plane that's based on a design considered but rejected by the space agency in the 1980s. The Dream Chaser would launch on an Atlas 5 rocket and carry as many as seven passengers and cargo to the space station.

Sierra Nevada is one of several companies funded by NASA's effort to promote the development of commercial spacecraft that could fill in for many of the functions of the shuttle fleet, which is headed for retirement after Atlantis' upcoming station resupply mission. The Dream Chaser is the only proposed spaceship that has wings. The others — such as SpaceX's Falcon, Boeing's CST-100 and Blue Origin's OSV — are conical capsules like the Apollo command module.

Mark Sirangelo, head of Sierra Nevada Space Systems, noted that the Dream Chaser's look was similar to that of the shuttle, though without the shuttle's commodious cargo bay. When one journalist made a remark about the craft's sleek design, Sirangelo joked, "We like the word 'sleek.'"

He said the design similarities suggest that the reusable Dream Chaser, which would land on a runway like a glider, might well be serviced like the shuttle. But when Sirangelo was asked exactly which facilities would be used at Kennedy Space Center, he said "we're still working out the details" on that issue. NASA said the space center would help Sierra Nevada "define and execute" activities for launch and for post-landing processing.

Last week, NASA reported that all of its partners for crew vehicle development, including Sierra Nevada, were meeting their specified timelines. Sirangelo said Sierra Nevada's schedule called for suborbital test flights in 2013, orbital test flights in 2014 and the start of space station operations in 2015.

Kennedy Space Center's director, Bob Cabana, joined Sierra Nevada in signing today's Space Act agreement. He said the venture was in line with NASA's efforts to give private companies a greater role in low-Earth-orbit operations, thus freeing the space agency to concentrate on beyond-Earth-orbit exploration.

"We are going to transform human space flight for future generations," Cabana said.
    >
    Update for 6 p.m. ET:

Sierra Nevada's Sirangelo discussed the deal in more depth with me during an interview this afternoon. Among other things, he told me that the Dream Chaser could be launched atop an Atlas 5 from California as well as from Florida, and it could land on any runway. If it happened to land in California, or anyplace else, that's no big deal. "It returns home in a cargo plane," Sirangelo told me. The mini-shuttle is compact enough to fit within a C-5 transport plane, he noted.

He suggested that the Dream Chaser couldmtouch down in, say, Madison to deliver fresh experimental samples to a lab at the University of Wisconsin — or make a landing at the EAA AirVenture air show to give the crowds a thrill. A spaceship coming to your hometown ... how's that sound as a way to build interest in the space program?

Stay tuned for more from Sirangelo and other players in the commercial space race next week, once I transcribe my notes.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 July 2011, 16:20.
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

MSNBC Cosmic Log article....

They go into their relationship with Virgin Galactic, the possibility of suborbital and orbital passenger flights, non-NASA flights etc.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
      X