Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space Invaders - Why you should never, ever use two spaces after a period.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Invaders - Why you should never, ever use two spaces after a period.

Can I let you in on a secret? Typing two spaces after a period is totally, completely, utterly, and inarguably wrong.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Back when I learned to type (1988 or so), we had this full rulebook of spacing. As the typewriters used monospaced fonts, we were taught 2 spaces after a period. Similarly, we were taught that with a ":" you need 1 space before and 1 space after (",", ";" was none before and one after). And even visually I still think it makes sense on a proportional font.
    Moving to computers, I initially still maintained the rules, mainly because I was so used to typing like that. But now, when using proportionally spaced fonts I stick to just one space.

I assume for many people it still - yes, even now - still is force of habit.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

He sounds fun at parties.

Comment

Weird, I learned to type, sort of, in the late sixties on a regular typewriter, and Becky worked at the University of Texas Press in the type setting department.
        But until I read this article I had never even heard of the idea of putting two spaces after a period.

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
        He's usually pretty good. Must have been a slow week for him
        Last edited by cjolley; 31 March 2011, 08:22.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Much ado about nothing.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
            Much ado about nothing.
            lol
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
              But until I read this article I had never even heard of the idea of putting two spaces after a period.
              Maybe it is a regional thing: customary in Europe, not in the US?

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
              Much ado about nothing.
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I don't understand._______Why do we need to have one space between the period and the start of a new sentence.___________ I guess I have to read up some more and go from there.

Comment

never heard of it (learned typing in the early 90s), nor have I ever heard it from my mother (learned typing in the 60s).

mfg
                  w
                  "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                  "Lobsters?"
                  "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                  "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Also never heard of it (learned in the 90s), not even from other people who learned typing earlier.

Comment

I have always put two spaces after a period since a professor for a writing class made us do it at University of Hartford. No reason to change. What's the big deal?

Comment

It was drilled into us in typing (NOT "keyboarding") class. Monotype typewriters and all that...

Comment

I'm another notch for the 'Never heard of it' crowd
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                            Maybe it is a regional thing: customary in Europe, not in the US?
                            I went to High School in Germany and had a German typing teacher, so it isn't that.
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                            X