Migrated from XP to W7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrated from XP to W7

And it seems OK allthough. But W7 of course has shitloads of new functionality. Is it, for instance, possible to force Explorer to show the size of folders i.e. all that is contained within it? That would be far nicer than checking for properties on many of them.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

I Don't see how...

I don't see a way to force that within the graphical explorer view, looks as though you still need to use the command prompt with what ever switches you want(i.e. C:\>dir /w /p /s) for example. Then you can output it to a file if you want.

see dir /? for more options

Comment

And if you want a graphical tool, windirstat is useful (open source).
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

maybe

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html has a nice project that might have that feature in it.... when i switch over i'll be trying it out
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I use Windows Commander. One of its menu items shows a folders size.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

If you hover over a folder, the size of it's contents should show in the tool tip that pops up.

Still not as nice as having it shown all the time, but easier than going to properties.
            Why would I send my pants to New Jersey?

Comment

So I got this really really weird issue just now. Whenever I close/open a window or minimise/restore/maximise etc, during the change I see flickering pink/white boxes...??

edit: I tried to capture this in PrtScr but that shows a pink/purple transparant layer where the minimising window is...

edit2: solved by switching from and back to my theme. Weird stupid stuff.
              Last edited by Umfriend; 18 February 2011, 02:51.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Folder size in Explorer, not possible using Windows Explorer. Classic shell will show the folder size in the status bar, but you lose the pretty Win7 theme for the window. Parts of it at least. You other option is to use an alternate explorer.

RE: the pink elephants, typically it's the video card drivers. Try a reference driver instead of the built-in one.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

So in the Root the is this "Documents and Settings" folder and for one reason or another I can not get access to it, it's denied. Where does my own OS come off telling me that I can not have access to data on my own bloody HD????

I now I had a bit of this in XP en seen things like this more on Vista but it is getting crazy here. I am, as far as files are concerned, a hiarchical guy: there is a root, beneath there are folders and below even more folders. I'm fine with shortcuts but I can;t stand this library stuff and what not.

Edit: So what can't I access the System Volume Information?? It's MY SYSTEM AND MY VOLUME!

Comment

Uac

You are going to become familiar with User Accounts Control(UAC).

As far as the library stuff goes try this...click on the start buttom >> go to the documents button/icon >> right mouse button on "Documents". From there you have the options to include your "My Documents" in the library or not.

Good Luck

Comment

Godmode for Win7 :

Create a new folder and name it :

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

It will give you a nice list of options to fiddle with that might have taken a while to find

Everyone knows it probably, but is really useful, so a repeat is warranted.
                      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                        So in the Root the is this "Documents and Settings" folder and for one reason or another I can not get access to it, it's denied. Where does my own OS come off telling me that I can not have access to data on my own bloody HD????

I now I had a bit of this in XP en seen things like this more on Vista but it is getting crazy here. I am, as far as files are concerned, a hiarchical guy: there is a root, beneath there are folders and below even more folders. I'm fine with shortcuts but I can;t stand this library stuff and what not.

Edit: So what can't I access the System Volume Information?? It's MY SYSTEM AND MY VOLUME!
                        Documents and Settings does not exist anymore. There is an NTFS link that points Docs and Settings to C:\Users (the new Documents and Settings) to provide backwards compatibility with older applications.

Your stuff is now in C:\Users\<Username>
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Running programs (explorer, cmd, ..) as administrator gives you more permissions. Just right click the icon, and select the "run as administrator". Even if you are an administrator, this option gives you more permissions and might be what you need if you really want to access all system folders.
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                          X