The world Cup and Qatar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The world Cup and Qatar

Ok, so I don't follow soccer and know next to nothing at all about Qatar.
    But is it really possible to hold the World Cup in a country with Qatar's drinking laws?

Also see: No new permits at the QDC! Laws Qatar is a place where people, including Muslims, can legally buy alcohol and then be taken to cou...

Buying alcohol in Qatar

Also see: No new permits at the QDC!

Laws

Qatar is a place where people, including Muslims, can legally buy alcohol and then be taken to court for drinking it. Earlier this year an Egyptian man had some beers on a plane on the way here to try and forget the toothache he had. After checking in at his hotel he got a taxi and asked the driver to take him to a dental clinic. Instead, the driver took him to the police station and he ended up receiving lashes for being inebriated. When the sentence was passed, he wept (source: Gulf Times).

I wanted to clarify the laws regarding alcohol. Yet when I rang the Qatar Distribution Company, the only legal distributor of alcohol in the country, they claimed not to know the laws regarding alcohol. However, Qatar Law states that drunken behaviour in public or driving under the influence of alcohol is an offence punished by imprisonment, a fine or both (www.qatarlaw.com). As Sharia law is practised for Muslims, the punishment for Muslims may include lashing.

Where to buy alcohol in Doha

The only licensed shop you can buy alcohol at is the Qatar Distribution Company. To do so you need an alcohol permit, which can be obtained at the centre. Unfortunately, you can’t enter the shop without an alcohol permit, and you can only get an alcohol permit in the shop. You can also buy alcohol from hotels, which are (wait for it) supplied by the Qatar Distribution Company.

Requirements

To obtain an alcohol permit you need a letter from your employer written in English. This must be signed and stamped by an authorised person in your company and be addressed to the Qatar Distribution Company. It must state the applicant’s position, basic salary (must be above 4000 riyals or 1100 dollars, and the letter must use the word basic), state if an accommodation entitlement is received or if the applicant receives free accommodation and whether the applicant is married. The applicant must also provide their ID/passport and residence permit (photocopies are acceptable) and a 1000 riyal (275 dollar) returnable deposit. You also have to complete an application form, and state your religion. All completed forms must be in backwards gothic Sanskrit script size 12 ¾ and with triple spacing, and should be aesthetically pleasing. (Actually, I just made up the last condition.)
    Surely Qatar and the FIFA can both see the trains coming down track on this one.

PS. The more I read the worse it seems. I thought the World cup was usually the occasion of a great deal of televised revelry. What will happen to Qatar's reputation (such as it is) in the West when it lashes some drunken revelers, and what will happen to it's immunity from AQ attacks if it doesn't?
    Last edited by cjolley; 3 December 2010, 13:13.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Guess they paid the biggest bribe to get it.
    paulw

Comment

Three things could happen....

1-The sheer amount of foreigners attending will do what ever they want , and drink up a storm totally disregarding Qatar law.

or

2-No one will go to Qatar, fans will gather at pubs in their local countries and enjoy the freedom of drinking and cheering their favorite teams.

3-Qatar will allow fans to drink in compounds dedicated to foreigners. Like they do in Saudi Arabia.

Comment

Originally posted by paulw View Post
        Guess they paid the biggest bribe to get it.
        Exactly. Britain lost to Russia because our media exposed serious corruption in FIFA.

Of course, anyone who thinks THAT timing is a coincidence has their head in the sand.
        FT.

Comment

yeah, and then there is the weather-

June this year - average min T = 88 F, Avg Max = 106 F, peak 118 F

with dew points of 68 F avg. to 90 F peak

Ugh.

Comment

Remember Fran Crippen, the US swimmer who died of heat exhaustion in an event in Dubai? Better have plenty of Gatorade & emergency squads on hand.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

If they are smart, they will hold all of the prelims elsewhere and just do the final 4 games in Qatar in a new A/C stadium.

Comment

What's all the fuss about? Football is only a game.
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

That's pretty much the way I feel about soccer per se.
                  This is more about the set up.
                  It just struck me as being akin to scheduling Miss Nude Universe in an Amish town.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Comment

It's a cool bunch of designs. I think they are even designed to be moved to other countries afterwards instead of just sitting around gathering dust.
                      The stands have AC. Not sure about the playing fields.

But I still have doubts about how a huge drunken, public bash is going to work out there.

Qatar is so small that all three of Elie's options could happen at the same time.

I mean, what are they going to do about things like this:
                      Last edited by cjolley; 5 December 2010, 10:33.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Maybe the Qatar laws in 2022 will change in time for the World Cup.

Comment

Yep, right after the Pope has his Bar Mitzvah
                          FT.

Comment

Lol

Comment

Working...
                            X