Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

possible Missile launch off the coast of L.A. ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible Missile launch off the coast of L.A. ?

A video that appears to show a missile launch off the coast of California is so far "unexplained" by anyone in the military, a Pentagon spokesman told reporters Tuesday morning, but officials say it does not consider the event a threat to the homeland. 

Its just about everywhere atm...

Anyone over by LA see it ?
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

The sanest explanation I could give, considering The Navy and NORAD are stating they know nothing of a launch, or test launch, is that this was unexpected.

Maybe someone got the test time wrong, and let off a missile a bit early ?
    Maybe they did it deliberately to 'test' the missile-warning and destruction people ?
    or
    Somebody with an opinion (deep cover extremist convert?) had access to the launch mechanism, and let one off, prompting a major crapstorm in the US military as to who?, why?, WTF? and all the rest, and will tell us about it in a little while when they have everything under control.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

Well, if it had been in San Francisco then we would have known that Alcatraz just reopened
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

It was either launched by a surface vessel or sub and turned west over the Pacific.

NORAD and USNORTHCOM (North American Command) deny there is/was a danger, and a couple hours ago the Pentagon said it's "unexplained." For now the Vandenberg and Point Mugu launch/test sites deny it was theirs, as does the missile defense crowd. Both the Navy and USAF disown it.

"Nobody within the Department of Defense that we've reached out to has been able to explain what this contrail is, where it came from," Pentagon spokesman Col. Dave Lapan said. "So far, we've come up empty with any explanation."
        None of the usual pre-test shipping warnings or the FAA notification were issued.

USNORTHCOM is supposed to make another statement soon.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 November 2010, 15:24.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Scary sh*t.
          We may have some super duper technology, and explosive power, but some human has the remote control. Some leak a few hundred thousand messages, others may have different ideas.

Did they have any idea as to how long 'soon' is roughly ? ('tis nearly midnight here).

Comment

One other note : from what i gather, it happened yesterday evening, and was only reported a few hours ago ?

Could that be a gag order from the Gov't for a 12hr 'WTF was that?' investigation, which came up with nothing, or nothing that they want to talk about right now ?

Comment

I can just see some drunken/stoned idiot stacking some Level 3 model rocket stages (huge) and letting it fly off a dinghy or raft

Level 3 = 5,120.01 N/s (1,150.61lbf/s) to 40,960 N/s (9,204.8 lbf/s)
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 November 2010, 15:43.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

35 miles out is quite a ways to go with a raft or dinghy, and someone might have noticed a large rocket being taken out to sea.

"What rocket ? we're going fishing!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                  It was either launched by a surface vessel or sub and turned west over the Pacific.

NORAD and USNORTHCOM (North American Command) deny there is/was a danger, and a couple hours ago the Pentagon said it's "unexplained." For now the Vandenberg and Point Mugu launch/test sites deny it was theirs, as does the missile defense crowd. Both the Navy and USAF disown it.

None of the usual pre-test shipping warnings or the FAA notification were issued.

USNORTHCOM is supposed to make another statement soon.
                  if it's from a sub, who would have the capabilities to do this? Russia or China? If either of those planned to do this, games are played with very high stakes in the geo-politics arena atm...

If guessing I'd say only Russia (Putin) would have the balls to pull off a mad stunt like this.
                  Last edited by dZeus; 9 November 2010, 15:49.

Comment

I would be more inclined to think it was a rogue 'person' on a US ship or Sub.

Don't want to let that info out in a hurry...

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                      if it's from a sub, who would have the capabilities to do this? Russia or China?
                      >
                      Both of those, of course, but also anyone who has the bux to buy any one of several new/used diesel sub types that can launch from torpedo tubes or vertically. The arms market is full of anti-aircraft and theater missiles that can launch from torpedo tubes.

And don't think diesel subs are "quaint" - they can be quieter than some nuclear subs. Way quieter, and with modern battery technologies they can run silent a long time between charges. Not to mention subs don't have to surface to run their diesels anymore.

Germany cranks out damned good ones, as do others. Some German boats have auxiliary fuel cell power; the Type 212's fuel cells run off perimeter liquid hydrogen tanks that also muffle sounds from inside the boat. The Italians have some 212's & the US Navy has looked at some because of their very stealthy, long range ways. Pakistan is taking delivery of some Type 214's, a cheaper derivative of the 212, as are Greece and S. Korea.

Russia is also building a fuel cell sub, and sold off a bunch of their old diesels in the 90's so now even Iran & NK have some. Much of Israels nuclear deterrent force is on subs. India has a diesel sub fleet of 20+, and is building more advanced diesels and nuclear boats to boot.

Throw 10 darts at a coastal map and odds are you'll hit at least 2-3 nations with subs. Pick one, then consider that some subs are in "private" hands. Some drug smugglers even use old subs to get around the Coast Guard.

Feel better?

German Type 212 fuel cell sub
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 November 2010, 17:39.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

New scientist is in on the game, but i'm not convinced by their reply:

An optical illusion probably caused an approaching plane to look like a rising missile to a California helicopter crew, says an astronomer

Comment

CNN is reporting that this is the story they're going with. Supposedly a jet was flying towards the coast and a perspective related optical illusion made it appear to be flying up. The sunset backlighting its contrail enhanced the effect.

Then again, it could be that swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflecting the light from Venus
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

If that was a contrail from a plane, that plane was seriously on fire, and pollutes like no other.

Do they think everyone is stupid ? Why not just blame it on Bin Laden ? or Iraq (oh sh*t, done that already)

It was Kim Yong Il's last wish That'll do.

edit : even better " You're looking at it wrong!"

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                              if it's from a sub, who would have the capabilities to do this? Russia or China? If either of those planned to do this, games are played with very high stakes in the geo-politics arena atm...

If guessing I'd say only Russia (Putin) would have the balls to pull off a mad stunt like this.
                              Putin isn't insane.
                              Kim Jong Il IS insane, and would probably laugh at this, and welcome a US invasion.
                              Its what he wants.

"F*ck you Hans Brix!!!!!" (I have to watch that again)

Comment

Working...
                              X