Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What your camera choice says about you....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What your camera choice says about you....

Canon owners

You appreciate the benefits of owning a camera system that leads in cutting-edge digital imaging technology and that offers a wealth of body, lens, and accessory options for every level of photographer, from lowly consumer to top professional. You will switch to Nikon.

Nikon owners

You appreciate the benefits of owning a camera system that leads in cutting-edge digital imaging technology and that offers a wealth of body, lens, and accessory options for every level of photographer, from lowly consumer to top professional. You will switch to Canon.

Sony owners

You believe that Sony's innovations in consumer electronics and video technology, its leadership in digital imaging chip production, its in-body image stabilization, and its use of Zeiss optics results in a unique design synergy and products of exceptional value-because that's what it says in the product literature. You also believe in astrology, UFOs and the Easter Bunny.

Pentax owners

You're the sort of person who would buy a $1500 DSLR body so your stash of thread-mount, K-mount and M-mount lenses from decades ago (collectively worth $75.00 at a flea market or yard sale) won't go to waste; either that, or you've never heard of a Spotmatic, Pentax LX or Takumar, you just think you look cool sporting a day-glo red camera that takes real pictures. You think people are laughing with you, not at you.

Olympus owners

You're the sort of person who buys North Korean beer, Peruvian underwear, and French cars, not Â*because you actually like them but because no one else does. When people question your choice of camera system you respond that Olympus images have a certain "soul" and that photographs are what matter, not the camera. You have no friends.

Leica owners

You know that no other camera other than a Hasselblad gains as much instant respect among the cognoscenti as a Leica. Although this relieves the pressure of demonstrating actual photographic prowess, it increases the need to be familiar with the subtle differences in visual signature between an Elmar, Elmarit, Summitar, Summicron, and Summilux. You are either stinking rich, living in your mother's basement, or one lens purchase away from a divorce.

Panasonic, Fuji, and Samsung owners should be relieved rather than offended that they were not included.Â*

Comments are welcome as long as they are civil. Extra points will be given for self-deprecation.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

What happens if you have a Panasonic, but you got it for free?

If I were to buy one, it would probably be Canon.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Anyone know where I can get a digital back for my Pentax K1000? I know they make them for Hasselblads...

Kevin

Comment

what does "whatever is on my cellphone" mean?
        /meow
        Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
        Asus Striker ][
        8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
        Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          Nikon owners

You appreciate the benefits of owning a camera system that leads in cutting-edge digital imaging technology and that offers a wealth of body, lens, and accessory options for every level of photographer, from lowly consumer to top professional. You will switch to Canon.
          Bought one because it was inexpensive.

Comment

I have a Nikon D 40, purchased for economical reasons. I am very satisfied with it, both with the 18 to 55 lens and the 55 to 200 VR lens which are extraordinary. I recently had a friend visiting with a Canon EOS (not sure which model) and we swapped cameras for a day. As far as results were concerned, other than a slight colour temperature difference, there was absolutely nothing to choose between them, even at full definition uncompressed (by chance, they had similar size CCDs). The lens performance seemed identical. The Nikon camera was lighter and the autofocus and auto diaphragm were marginally faster. I appreciated the swinging LCD of the Canon. The other major difference was that the Canon cost about twice as much as the Nikon!

If I were to recommend a DSLR to somebody about to purchase one, I think I would recommend the Nikon for an amateur with a light to medium use and the Canon for a professional with heavy use, as it gave the impression of being more robust.

I must admit that I would love an adapter for my Nikon to take my three fixed focus Pentax Takumar lenses, which are absolutely superb. I say this despite the fact that the Nikon and Canon zoom lenses are remarkably good, thanks to aspherical technologies with new glass and plastic formulations with a maximum 3:1 zoom ratio. I would have serious doubts about purchasing a lens for a still camera with a higher ratio and I would limit a video camera to a maximum of 10:1 optical.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I own both a canon and a nikon, am I self recursive?
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I still have my Nikon D100 (yep, an 8 year old model), but will upgrade the body probably next year. So far I've upgraded the lens I bought with it (24-85 f/2.8-4) to a pro lens (17-55 f/2.8) and got a proper flash unit (SB-800). It surprises me how people shun the old body ("6 MP? My cellphone has 5MP"), and forget that the lens is also very important.
                The D100 still works beautifully and takes just as a nice pictures. That is not to say it is not without its drawbacks (slow processing, poor jpg output so I need to use raw, small buffer, very few AF sensor points, poor hi iso performance, ...). But none of those really take away from image quality.

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                If I were to recommend a DSLR to somebody about to purchase one, I think I would recommend the Nikon for an amateur with a light to medium use and the Canon for a professional with heavy use, as it gave the impression of being more robust.
                For professional heavy use, you need to look in Nikon's pro range (starts with D100, D200, D300, D300s, D700 and then the D1/2/3 ranges). The D7000 falls a bit inbetween as it misses some pro-features but boasts some others.
                Cameras in Nikon's pro range are really built like a tank.
                (I assume Canon also has this distinction)

I like the the fact that the text (in the joke) for Nikon and Canon is the same: both are great tools, and choosing between them is a matter of taste/preference (or very specific needs).
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Canon EOS 7D - 18 mp, compatable with a lot of EF & EF-S lenses, 8 fps serial shooting, full 1080 HD video, HDMI, dual image processors & built like an Abrams.

sweetness
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Give credit where credit is due

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq View Post
                      ... am I self recursive?
                      Is there any other kind?
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Canon here and for next camera I'd consider Canon or Nikon.

Comment

Panasonic DMC-FZ7, wishing I could afford a Pentax kx.
                          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

hm...I started out with a Minolta "small enough to put in your pocket" moved to a Minolta "You aint getting THIS one into your pocket" (can't remember the models ).

Then I got a canon ixus 60 and this year I uppgraded to ixus 120 (the 130 model has "issues" )

btw: Sasq wins this thread
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                            X