Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transparent material developed that's twice as strong as Kevlar, infinitely weirder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transparent material developed that's twice as strong as Kevlar, infinitely weirder

Scientists in Israel have developed a transparent material with "the hardest organic nanostructure known to man," according to Discovery News. Based on artificial proteins similar to (and simpler than) the beta-amlyoid proteins that have been linked to Alzheimer's disease, and covered with transparent nanospheres, the new material is very, very strong: in order to cut it, a diamond-tipped probe would have to apply twice the pressure it would take to cut Kevlar. Researchers see it being used for anything from bulletproof armor to reinforced steel -- but don't throw out your old body armor yet! It could be years (if not decades) before this comes to market.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

It could be years (if not decades) before this comes to market.
    If ever! 95% of the miracle products/processes/materials etc. announced in the grand public "scientific" press (and the serious journals, as well) never see the light of day. I'm convinced that a lot of it is wishful thinking.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I still hope to live to see a space elevator one day.
      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

hrmm, sounds like Scotty's invisible aluminium
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

One form of transparent aluminum is already a commercial product. Main use now is in armor: a sheet can stop a .50 cal Barrett round cold and is solid up to 1,200C (2,190F) Just $10-$20/sq-in (below)

Another version is considred an example of a new state of matter; Al is irradiated with an x-ray laser and becomes transparent, but only as long as the beam is on.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 31 October 2010, 09:39.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
          X