SpaceX Dragon parachute test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceX Dragon parachute test

Shot from the deck of a whale spotting ship off the California coast. They lifted a Dragon spacecraft to 14,000 feet with a SkyCrane then dropped it to test the mains and its ability to handle the landing impact. These tests necessary because of changes to the pack before next months COTS-1 flight. On the bottom pic you can see where panels have blown off in flight for the drogue & its lines (lower right and diagonal slot) and the mains & their (lower left and vertical slot) lines to deploy.

Did a bit of work on the snapshot cam images for clarity....

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 August 2010, 13:59.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Full bloom + enhanced...

F9 launch: check
      F9 2nd stage sep: check
      F9 2nd stage & Dragon test article -> orbit: check
      Orbital maneuvering, re-entry etc.: TBD in the COTS-1 flight
      Chute deployment -> water: check

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 August 2010, 11:04.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Video

First live parachute test of SpaceX's Dragon spaceship. This craft is due for its first full test flight in late September atop the Falcon 9 rocket tested s...

SpaceX updates page

>
        An Erickson S-64F Air-Crane helicopter dropped a test article of the Dragon spacecraft from a distance of 14,000 feet, directly above the center of a 6 mile diameter Pacific Ocean test zone.
        >
        In a carefully timed sequence of events, dual redundant drogue parachutes deployed first to stabilize and slow the spacecraft. Full deployment of the drogues then triggered the release of the main parachutes, with the drogues detaching from the spacecraft, allowing the main parachutes to deploy.
        >
        The three main parachutes, designed and manufactured by Airborne Systems, are particularly large--each measuring 116 feet in diameter when fully deployed. The oversized parachutes are key in ensuring a comfortable landing for crew members. After the drogues stabilize the spacecraft, the main parachutes further slow the spacecraft's decent to approximately 16-18 ft/sec, which makes for a very soft landing.

Even if Dragon were to lose one of its main parachutes, the two remaining chutes would still ensure a pretty soft landing for the crew. Under nominal conditions, astronauts would experience no more than roughly 2-3 g’s during this type of decent—less than you’d experience at an amusement park.
        >
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 August 2010, 12:40.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
        X