A question to you o/cing crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question to you o/cing crowd

What do you consider to be a reasonable operating temperature for a slot1 P2 and P3.
    I mean a temperature that really doesn´t diminish the cpu´s lifetime. how many degrees above standard performance heat
    P2350@400 (hope to change this line)
    128mb pc133 cas2
    13,6 Gb IBM 7200rpm
    16mb vanilla@174/217 (proudly said!)

about myself
    UT Slave
    Q3 pisser
    Nocturne Lover(Nocturne the game)
    U9 stupid buyer
    Rally2000 pilot

Unless you operate your CPU at superconductive levels there is going to be some degridation done to the CPU. In theory you want the CPU to operate at scientific room tempurature, about 75 F or 21 C (if I remember my chemistry right). CPU's are usually designed to operate at up to 120-140 F before failure occurs.

If you put a good cooler on your CPU you can get it down to about 80-90 F which is an acceptable range. Remeber, even if you can keep the CPU down to that temp there is a limit that CPU can go before the transistors will not be able to switch fast enough.

Jammrock

------------------
    My computer was working great until my brand new "top-of-the-line" power supply committed ritual suicide, after only 24 hours of use, and took out 2 motherboard (mine and a test board), 2 hard drives, a floppy drive and possibly more...a moment of silence please, in rememberance of a valiant computer that served me well.

Sorry, had to vent.

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I can toast bread over my poor 333@500!
      Does that mean I'm running it too hot and may someday have to spend $50 to replace it?
      chuck

Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Toast bread? Damn!

Well, I have to say Intel makes pretty durable processors. People all over overclock the hell out of them, so I'm sure they can take the heat. In my current setup, I have a P2-400 o/c to 500, and the CPU is running at a comfortable 31 Celsius. I also have an old dual P2-300 setup, and those CPU's would run pretty hot, but that was because of very poor circulation in the case. Don't rely solely on the cpu/heatsink combo....but ensure that you case has plenty of air flowing into and out of it. Also, thermal paste between the heatsink and cpu is a must! When I had my BP6 board, my 400's o/c to 500 ran between 47-51 Celcius. After adding thermal paste, the temp dropped between 37-39. Anyway, good luck with the overclocking.

------------------
        Regards,

Ben

Config: AOPen AX6BC Pro II Millenium Edition, P2 400@500, 128MB PC133 RAM, SB Live!, Netgear 10/100, Adapted 2940U2W SCSI adapter, Seagate Barracuda 4.3GB UW, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD reader, STB Blackmagic V2 (SLI) - removed after new TurboGL, Matrox G400MAX, Viewsonic PS790 and G773, Win98SE

Regards,

Ben

Config: Abit BE6-II r1, PIII 700E@933, 256MB PC133 RAM (CAS2), SB Live!, Intel 82558 10/100 Net Adapter, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Host Adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W SCSI HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD-ROM, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and E771, Win98SE and NT4

Comment

Well, OK so "toast bread" may be an exageration.
          But it does run hot. (and stable @ 2.2V)
          chuck

------------------
          ABit BF6, Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, Princeton EO75, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

A cpu will stop functioning around 70-80'C, getting as far away from these numbers is advised.
            For example: my celeron runs at 56'C, this will probably lower the life of the cpu and end up in lower overclocking performance.
            So, the better you cool, they longer your chip will last and the faster you will be able to overclock at lower voltages.
            btw: i don't really care about my temp because i have a lifetime warenty on them when their overclocked (ah yes, how sweet it is....) and i REALLY wouldn't sudgest getting anywhere near 56' C for your cpu

Comment

I can't believe all the success people have with overclocking in this forum ! I can't even get my PII-300 overclocked to 333
              or 338. With a bus speed of 66 and a clock multiplier of 5, it boots up and tells me i have a 233 ????. when i leave the clock multiplier at 4.5 and change the bus speed
              to 73, it stops booting right when windows
              (95 and 2000) start to load ??? go figure !
              does my cpu have overclock protection on it ?
              Rob_b
              pentium III @550mhz
              intel 440BX pci chipset
              512mb memory, g400max,
              cybervision C70 monitor
              win2000 on maxtor 8.4 gb

Comment

rob_b,
                I wasn't kidding about the $50 celeron 366. Mail order one. It will almost certinly make 550mz (5.5x100).

Those P2-300 run as hot as fire even at std. clock settings. Also, your proccessor may be multiplier locked. I can't remember.

What motherboard do you have?

chuck
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

RobB, don't bother trying. My k62 300 only hit 338 also. They're a pain in the neck to get going fast (if you even can) and for the amount of effort you will put into it, you might as well just take cjolly's advise and order a celery. TRUST ME!!!
                  "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                  --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Rob_b,
                    maybe you do have a 233, remarked cpus of that speed were very common, definately go for the celery
                    jim

------------------
                    Microsoft's new feature: computer will restart every 10 minutes which will greatly cut down on crashes requiring you to reboot the computer
                    PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                    128mb pc-100 cas 2
                    Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
                    Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                    SB Live!
                    Winblows 98se & DX7
                    and 384k DSL!

Comment

233 is also the default speed on many MoBos, that they use if the chip is missconfigured. Don't mess with the multiplier, just the FSB. You could also try to set the multiplier lower than it should be, it might let you run at a higher FSB. Older chips were not multipier locked, but max-multiplies locked. You could set them down, but not up.

Mark F.

------------------
                      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                      --------------------------------------------------
                      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                      and burped out a movie

Comment

Ya know, my last thought before i fell asleep last night was ..... What is the
                        difference internally between a 233mhz cpu
                        and a 333mhz cpu ? I'm new to the idea of
                        overclocking and claim to know little about
                        it, but it seems to me that the mhz of a cpu
                        is determined by clock multiplier and fsb.
                        So why is one cpu advertised as a 233 and
                        another apparently identical cpu advertised as a 333? aren't they internally the same thing ? I guess the same question could be asked about any line of chips (i.e. pentium III 600mhz vs pentium III 700mhz) ..... rob_b
                        pentium III @550mhz
                        intel 440BX pci chipset
                        512mb memory, g400max,
                        cybervision C70 monitor
                        win2000 on maxtor 8.4 gb

Comment

Yes, within a line, they tend to be the same internally. It's a matter of yealds, not all produced are capable of reliably running at the same speed. The manufacters test the chips and rate them, that is you are buying a chip 'garantied' to run at the marked speed.
                          But what also happens is market demand might cause the makers to sell chips that are capable of running faster, but at aslower speed (and cost) to meet the demand for more value parts; when their yealds are high.
                          So many buy parts, marked as lower speeds,in hopes that it will run faster. Some times it workes great (ie Celeron 300a->450+ and CuMine 500/550->667/733+, are good examples of likely 'upgrades'), some times not (many have been disapointed trieng to OC PIII600s)
                          Just depends on how good the chips are comeing out of the fabs, and your luck of the draw.

Mark F.

------------------
                          and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
                          X