Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote desktop to wifi computer

Hello,

I have this stupid problem... I'm trying to connect a desktop to my laptop using a remote desktop connection. The laptop however is on a wifi network. I can enter the credentials to log on, but I suspect the wifi connection is terminated as the user session on the laptop is stopped. So on the desktop I just see the "please wait", followed by a message that it cannot connect...

Any suggestions on connecting remote desktop to a wifi connnected computer?
    (both computers are W7 professional)

Thanks!

edit: I cannot use a cable, as it is on my office and I only have one ethernet connection. I need my laptop to use an English office, as the Polish one I have on the desktop is damn near impossible to use.

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 11 May 2010, 02:14.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

What make is the laptop?
    Do you have any wifi manager running?

Comment

Also see if there's a language pack in office, you can then switch to english. For instance there is slovenian language pack for office and I can switch it to english and use just the spelling checkers.

Another possiblity: get magic jelly beans key finder, extract key from office, try if it will be accepted in english office in a VM, then install english office. You can download a linux based CD if you don't have local administrator righs, though you should talk to your admins first.

Here we give users a choice of Slovenian or English Windows and Office.

Use a VM: VMware player is free, you can also try Sun Virtual box or buy VMware workstation.

Also you can buy a cheap 5-port switch for 5 euros.

You can also have your machine on at home and get static IP or use dyndns and rdp there.

You can also download english beta of Office 2010 and use that.
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 11 May 2010, 17:00.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
        What make is the laptop?
        Do you have any wifi manager running?
        It is a Fujitsu-Siemens P1510; I have no wifi manager running, just the default Windows 7 one.

Also see if there's a language pack in office, you can then switch to english. For instance there is slovenian language pack for office and I can switch it to english and use just the spelling checkers.
        Nope... unfortunately not

Another possiblity: get magic jelly beans key finder, extract key from office, try if it will be accepted in english office in a VM, then install english office. You can download a linux based CD if you don't have local administrator righs, though you should talk to your admins first.

Here we give users a choice of Slovenian or English Windows and Office.
        Yes... I asked for and English version, but for some stupid reason they say they never do it. A Finnish colleague has similar problems.

Also you can buy a cheap 5-port switch for 5 euros.
        You can also have your machine on at home and get static IP or use dyndns and rdp there.
        You can also download english beta of Office 2010 and use that.
        The cheap switch could be an option - although I don't need it often... or maybe I can ask if they don't have a one lying around somewhere. Machine at home is not an option due to a 3G internet connection. The English beta is also a thought! How long is it valid?

For smaller tasks, I can use an English office on a citrix server in Ghent (internet connection is fast enough), but it suffers some drawbacks: some functionality gets lost (e.g. drag and drop), I have a limited access to files (only C drive) and for some odd reason it also sets the default language for every presentation to Polish (I assume it adjusts to a Polish Windows...). For a small presentation or so this is not a problem, but for bigger ones it is a nuisance.

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

openoffice.org

english version install
          depending on complexity of documents, all good, to maybe a little formatting tweak (no including vba extentions of course in spreadsheets)?
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I have it... but the Impress just fails to... impress compared to Powerpoint... It also does not open my existing files properly (font sizes are off, alignment is wrong, ...).
            pixar

Comment

Working...
            X