Teachers union embarrasses itself, again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers union embarrasses itself, again

Gov. Christie's "crimes" were getting elected as a Republican in New Jersey then having the nerve to go before the State Legislature and tell the truth about the sad state of the state budget, paying particular attention to the costs of education - which, of course, includes the $$$$$$ benefit packages the teachers have. He also supports (shudders!) school vouchers to allow parents of kids in failing schools to send them to private schools and academies. Before running for Governor Christie was a US Attorney.

CNN....

Teachers union memo 'prays' for governor's death

(CNN) -- A New Jersey teachers union is coming under fire after an internal memo included a veiled threat to Gov. Chris Christie.

The leaked memo, which was sent to union leaders in the New Jersey Education Association's Bergen County division, contains a closing paragraph written in the form of a prayer.

"Dear Lord," the letter reads. "This year you have taken away my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze, my favorite actress, Farrah Fawcett, my favorite singer, Michael Jackson, and my favorite salesman, Billy Mays. I just wanted to let you know that Chris Christie is my favorite governor."

Bergen County Education Association President Joe Coppola said the memo was confidential and the line was intended as a joke.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 April 2010, 10:17.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

And I fail to see the death threath in the joke, if it had been a democrat governor named at the end you'd be first to post it along with those funny laughing smileys you like
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I've seen that exact same joke bearing Obama's name. No outrage over that?

Kevin

Comment

Since we're doing one-upsmanship; I first saw stuff like this targeting Reagan, then later Bush - both of them - and I don't remember your outrage over any of those either.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I think the term you're looking for is Selective Indignation.

Basically expressing dismay and anger over an insult against one of your own and delight over the exact same insult used against one you despise.

See also Cognitive Dissonance.

Kevin

Comment

The joke itself is not the issue: As many have pointed out, it is a common and very old joke.

However, this came from an organization of professionals, and as such should be appropriate. This clearly crossed the line.

Imagine if the GOP ran the "Obama" version of this joke as part of the GOP weekly? The political fallout would be tremendous, and could be considered a threat.

The union deserves public rebuke and should offer written and public apologies.
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Puleeeeze.
              One side always makes jokes about the other side.

No apologies are needed, no threats are implied.

IT'S A FRIGGIN JOKE.

Get over it.
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I find it funny that the teacher's union, you know, those people responsible for KIDS have a pediphile as their favorite singer and a drug addict as their favorite actress
                "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin View Post
                  Puleeeeze.
                  One side always makes jokes about the other side.

No apologies are needed, no threats are implied.

IT'S A FRIGGIN JOKE.

Get over it.
                  I agree with the sentiment that it is a joke and people should not be so serious about it, if there wasn't such a disgusting double standard in place now. If this was said about a democrat, thought outrage would be deafening. But since it is about a republican, it is just a joke and we should get over it?

Either it is a joke for both sides, or both sides are allowed to be outraged, but it can't be just one sided.

Comment

Originally posted by WxDude View Post
                    I agree with the sentiment that it is a joke and people should not be so serious about it, if there wasn't such a disgusting double standard in place now. If this was said about a democrat, thought outrage would be deafening. But since it is about a republican, it is just a joke and we should get over it?

Either it is a joke for both sides, or both sides are allowed to be outraged, but it can't be just one sided.
                    IMHO it ios pretty one sided from the republicans on this forum.
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

For what it's worth, my current "favorite" politician is Michele Bachmann.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                      X