Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3G modem causes system lockup...

Hello,

I just purchased a prepaid 3G internet connection, with USB modem (Huawei E156G).

However, when connected to the internet, my system randomly locks up completely (requiring me to shut down via the power button and restart). This is after some period of time (can be 2 seconds, can be 40 minutes!), regardless of bytes transferred.

I'm running Windows 7 RC, so they say they can't really give me support. Despite that, they let me try with a Huawei E169, but it yielded the same result...

According to Windows Update, I have the latest driver. I have already stopped using the operator's software to make the connection, and reverted to the standard Windows dialup screen (to rule out the operator's software is to blame). Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Similar ???

I am not connecting in the same way but my system would lock up randomly for no apparent reason when online with my broadband provider.

Do you have any HTTP Event errors in event viewer?

If so type "netsh http show sslcert" at a command prompt and see what shows. I had a bunch of sslcert entries that made no sense to me so I deleted them and since then I haven't locked up. Use the online help if you have those events to see how to delete those certificates with the netsh command. It would happen in Vista or Win 7 and both OSs' had a bunch of these entries.

Good luck

Comment

The event viewer shows no problems... The command
      netsh http show sslcert
      shows no entries.
      In the Action Center, I can see that the installer (which installed the drivers) has a compatibility issue, but the drivers themselves are even signed for Windows 7... I tried installing the drivers via the .inf files rather than via the installer, but I get an errormessage stating that the drivers are not intend for this way of installing.

The problem only occurs when I connect using the Huawei modem(s), when using my mobile phone (Windows mobile) with the sim-card and the internet sharing feature, the computer is stable.
      pixar

Comment

You could try to hook it up using an dualpower usb cable (an extra "A" connector).

Some of those Huawei modems are a bit cranky about power
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Interesting thought!

Meanwhile, I also found a mysterious W7 hotfix file on the Huawei website. It doesn't say what it does, and doesn't list supported devices, but installation was successfull... I'm trying it now after applying it... Let's hope it works!

I read that other people have been successfull in using some vmware machine to use the modem, not only with a virtual XP, but e.g. also with a virtual ipcop... After the dual power usb cable, this could be my next option...
          pixar

Comment

The hotfix doesn't change a thing...

And I just realized that I haven't brought a dual usb-plug cable with me...
            (but according to the Windows device manager, there is no problem with the powerdraw of the port; I'm also seeing the problem with my laptop plugged in, and with the "allow windows to power down this device to save power"-option unchecked)

So my next plan is to use VMWare + ipcop (this has native support for 3G USB routers, and I know mine is supported!). So it will take a bit of fiddling to configure a virtual ipcop as gateway, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem...
            (as I said to the lady at the check-in-counter at the airport, when she could find my reservation: "It wouldn't be as much fun if everything worked as it should... ")
            pixar

Comment

Are you using any cables, or is the dongle plugged directly in? Have you tried different USB ports? Make suer you uninstall and reinstall if you change USB ports though! MY better half supports these pieces of crap for a living for Vodafone - she must have the patience of a saint to support them!

Comment

It is plugged directly into a usb port. The laptop only has 2 usb ports, and it yields the same result on both...

I have now installed VMware Player 3.0, and configured an IPCop 1.9.8... and it is working... I've only been online for a few minutes though, but at least the connection and configuration works. Now I just have to wait to see if the system freezes or not...

The fun thing is that I know have a webinterface to control that IPCop installation, and it shows me graphs, usage counters, ... much better than the provider's program could...
                Last edited by VJ; 8 November 2009, 04:22.
                pixar

Comment

Ok, I had a stable connection for over 8 hours, and then just decided to close it...
                  So it is working!

Now to fine tune it:
                  • the configuration is a bit cumbersome though: 1. boot virtual ipcop, 2. connect usb modem, 3. open to web interface, 4. dial the connection
                  • while I can have nice traffic related graphs in the web interface, they don't really show a real time transfer rate (I have to refresh if I want to see the current rate)
                  • it is not really possible to see the signal strength of the modem (apart from using the colour-coded led, but it only distinguishes between hsdpa and wdcma)

So, I'm now looking for alternatives (but I'm very happy this works ). Other linux-firewalls I have found don't seem to support 3G modems out of the box; my next attempt is to install Ubuntu 9.10 as this has a X-windows and basic support for the 3G modem. But it will depend on how well my PC can run it.

(forgot: I'm running Windows 7, but the XP mode is not an option as my CPU lacks the required support, verified here with the tool in step 2)

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Working...
                  X