Linux is dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux is dying

The lack of activity in here does show that.

I still play around with it and herin lies the problem. I'm playing around with it I'm looking forward too Unbuntu 9.10 and running a beta on my notebook. Loads of crashes but what do you expect at least it carries on running.
    However on the final release why should you play around with it too get it too do what you want with the hardware you got.
    Why aren't there unified installers and why is it suffering from self admitted bloat.
    One of the thin gs keeping linux alive is Microsoft not building a modular windows. I said the beta was crashing but none of the crashed apps brought the os down. If it hadn't told me I wouldn't have known.
    Windows in the meantime would have blue screened.
    At one time during windows 7 they were looking at modular development no doubt they shelved it for compatibility but for how long.
    Linux still needs to get novice friendly and until it does it will remain a back ground noise of an OS.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

The lack of activity in here does show that.
    That's because there are no problems :-)

Comment

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 almost exclusively on my home PC.

But speaking of the alternative OS in general, I can't wait for Haiku to reach Beta.
      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I'm using Suse linux on all of my PCs, both at work and at home, for over 5 years now...

At work I use OpenSuse 10.1, and at home OpenSuse 10.3... I'm planing to upgrade my home PCs to 11.2 in couple of weeks, and office PCs to 11.1 in a few months.

I've also installed OpenSuse on to my friends and relatives PCs many, many times and they all've been happy ever since. So... who's dying?

Comment

Linux must die.
          A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

Originally posted by Haig View Post
            That's because there are no problems :-)
            LOL always fun with Linux if you want to do something with it.
            Still needs to be more friendly.

I like Ubuntu 9.10 but for some reason Thunderbird has died. No error msgs in the logs just starts and disappears.
            Remove and re-installed didn't fix or a different version. Strange.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Thunderbird has died. No error msgs in the logs just starts and disappears.
              Same here. After a few hours, the message pane stops displaying the text and TB is very very slow to respond.

Am getting a similar issue with FF where flash is dying as well if FF is on for a few hours.

Comment

I don't think Linux is dying, but it still needs to mature for desktop use. It is ok if a knowledgable user configures it for a novice user; the novice user can than easily work with it. But for a novice user to install some applications (i.e. one that is not obtainable via the package manager), is still really asking for problems... They are currently also risking a bloating effect from trying to mature in the wrong places...

I personally don't use it as a desktop-os, not from conviction, but just found it too cumbersome (have some Windows-exclusive software for which no equally good replacement is found). I do use it for server purposes: firewall, storage, ...
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The good thing about Linux is that you can customise. Want a kiosk off you go learn how to hack the system.
                  Yup it is getting bloated even Mr Linux says so himself.
                  Winblows needs to be modular in design somethign they were going to do with win7 but failed to do so.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Strange: that is always the cry for Linux... "You can customize! It's open source, you can change everything!" Now look at the end user: they don't need those features...

Win7 indeed also fails the mark somewhat, but if you install a Windows 2008 server, it really gets a good balance between necessary stuff and bloatware... and it gives you a good interface to add/remove what you want (but server services and applications)
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                    X