Win7 RC and 2008 R2 RC1 are out to the public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win7 RC and 2008 R2 RC1 are out to the public

2008 R2 RC, keys and downloads are here. 2008 R2 will not have a 32-bit version.

Win7 RC is here. Scroll down to the very bottom for download options. A product key is given after you log into Windows Live. There is a 32-bit version of Win7 for legacy hardware.

It's actually been out for a while. I have Win7 already downloaded and 2008 R2 is just about done. The only bonus of working the graveyard shift.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Yep, I got the Win 7 RC... Currently running the beta and it does a nice job. Only problem I have is with videoscaling/resolution change in Windows Media Center (TV is analog, which I think accounts for the problems).
    Major downside is that you have to do a clean installation (you cannot install the RC over the beta...)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I saw someone that said you could... I'll post it if I stumble across it. It was on blogs.msdn.com somewhere.

The XP Mode beta is available as well:

Comment

And here it be:

Comment

The backgrounds in Windows 7 are pretty.

I don't miss the classic start menu.

Where is the in built Blu Ray support?

Comment

Installed the RC on both my tablet and my workstation. Tablet was XP tablet edition and workstation was Vista 64bit. Very happy with both.
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff View Post
              The backgrounds in Windows 7 are pretty.

I don't miss the classic start menu.

Where is the in built Blu Ray support?

It supports the drives and burning by default, but you still need a third party player to watch BD's as far as I know.

Comment

Got my 64bit copy with 5 Keys

Comment

Hope they do better with the XP compatability mode... not supporting a 3D acceleration path makes it crappy.

Comment

or needing hw VT instructions support... most stuff I would need to run in XP compatibility mode is old enough that the performance loss due to overhead is not important.

Comment

The VT requirement is because 64-bit virtualization requires it, and it's better not to have two code bases. You can still use other free virtualization apps. See here, view comments for more info.

Comment

oh I use WinXP in VirtualBox right now in Vista x86. I'll just keep using those. It's that I thought it'd be nice if WinXP compatibility mode would do away with the need for virtualbox. It makes sense that the reason MS needs VT-x is better performance, features and a single codebase that's easier to maintain.
                        Last edited by dZeus; 8 May 2009, 14:23.

Comment

All Windows 7 builds have installed over their predecessors. I haven't run into one that didn't, and I've been running the betas incrementally on a test machine since the first release last year.

The caveat is that if you are employing bitlocker, you WILL have to unprotect the drive before upgrading.
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

I wonder, is the XP-mode seamless? ("XP apps" windows behaving and looking as if run nativelly)

Also, there are some opinions in the wild that Win7 "slowed down" in RC in comparison to betas...any signs of that?

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
                              I wonder, is the XP-mode seamless? ("XP apps" windows behaving and looking as if run nativelly)
                              It can be. I haven't played with it much yet, but if you install the app inside the XP Mode VM, the close/hibernate the VM, the apps are supposed to show up in the Win7 program list and run seamlessly.

Also, there are some opinions in the wild that Win7 "slowed down" in RC in comparison to betas...any signs of that?
                              I have not noticed any slowdown personally, but I've only installed it on my workstation, which is pretty beefy.

Comment

Working...
                              X