Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on fair use

hi guys,

a potential client just asked me to quote on producing a video montage of scenes from several video games.

i'm wondering what the laws are on fair use.

how many seconds can i excerpt from each game without having to secure approval from the individual game developers/publishers?
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Originally posted by schmosef View Post
    hi guys,

a potential client just asked me to quote on producing a video montage of scenes from several video games.

i'm wondering what the laws are on fair use.

how many seconds can i excerpt from each game without having to secure approval from the individual game developers/publishers?
    You would need to consult an IP lawyer where you are to get an answer, but "fair use" also implies the purpose behind it and can be interpreted differently in different countries. For example, if I'm writing a book review of a text book for a technical journal, I can write appropriate excerpts to illustrate a point but if I'm writing a technical paper, I cannot write an excerpt but I can give a reference. In your case, if it is to illustrate a review, then a few seconds are probably permissible. If it is for commercial or other non-commercial reasons, then permission is probably required.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
    X