Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will it end?

Link

The shooting comes 10 months after 32 students and staff were shot by a student at Virginia Tech University in one of the worst shootings ever at a US school.

It is also the fourth shooting at a US education establishment within a week.

Last Friday, a woman shot dead two fellow students before killing herself at Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge. In Memphis, Tennessee, a 17-year-old is accused of shooting and critically wounding a student on Monday, and a 15-year-old was shot at a junior high school in California on Tuesday.
    Non-political!!! Keep it that way, please!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

The only response can be that it will never end in the USA while they hold on to their "Right to Bear Arms". I'm sorry if that's political, but what else is there to say (apart from expressing sympathy for the innocent victimns and their families)?
    FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
      The only response can be that it will never end in the USA while they hold on to their "Right to Bear Arms". I'm sorry if that's political, but what else is there to say (apart from expressing sympathy for the innocent victimns and their families)?

Taking away the right to bear arms might help in the future, but there are so many guns already in the states it wouldn't take much for a sufficiently dedicated psycho to get one, or three...or twenty.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
      A lot of people feel that the wording only allows an armed militia, meaning trained defenders, but most cases conveniently chop off the first half when dealing with gun laws. I'm on the fence on the whole thing. I enjoy range shooting, and hunting is a big thing in many states, and I would not like to see those sports taken away, but guns being as freely available as they are definately needs to change, IMO.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Have you seen "Bowling for Columbine" ? There are other countries with about the same number of arms or more (e.g. Switserland), where these things happen less frequently (extrapolated to population numbers). I pretty sure it must be something else...

Sad nonetheless...

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

When will this end? I wish it never started.....

Take a look at this guy picture, just an average guy you pass by every day...

Local Story here

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Sad.. I wonder when they will blame computer games for this one too
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
              Have you seen "Bowling for Columbine" ? There are other countries with about the same number of arms or more (e.g. Switserland), where these things happen less frequently (extrapolated to population numbers). I pretty sure it must be something else...

Sad nonetheless...

Jörg
              I think they mention that there are more guns per person in Canada, but a LOT less violence...

I don't think there is just one reason for this, but many...

Its just such a shame that its happenning to such young kids...
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Have you noticed these incidents only occur in so called "Gun Free Zones" where you are not allowed to carry a concealed weapon even if you have a permit.

These "Cowards" would not dare do this in a public place where people are allowed to carry a concealed weapon for self defense.
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM View Post
                    Have you noticed these incidents only occur in so called "Gun Free Zones" where you are not allowed to carry a concealed weapon even if you have a permit.

These "Cowards" would not dare do this in a public place where people are allowed to carry a concealed weapon for self defense.
                    Like where? What sort of place are you talking about?

PS Why put cowards in quotes? Plainly they are cowards, they think guns are an answer to the vicissitudes of life.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

When will it end?
                      When the human race becomes extinct.
                      People of all ages have been killing each other for all of history, by any and all means possible. We're violent animals, and nothing is going to change that.
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

One thing remains constant with many of these cases: all too many, including this guy and the one at Virginia Tech, were psychiatric patients who were either on or recently quit taking antidepressants. The number cases where especially young people act out in this manner is IMO becoming very disturbing.

Bet we find out this is another case where everyone knew his behavior was deteriorating, including school officials, but no one took the responsibility to intervene. Early reports are that he was acting erratically and that the gun purchases were recent and legal.

Looks like the lessons of Virginia Tech vs. linking psych patient records into the gun purchase database have not been learned in Illinois.
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 February 2008, 15:20.
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                          Like where? What sort of place are you talking about?

PS Why put cowards in quotes? Plainly they are cowards, they think guns are an answer to the vicissitudes of life.
                          Schools and Shopping Malls where it is posted - No Firearms allowed....

Last edited by ALBPM; 15 February 2008, 19:19.
                          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Oh yeah, the retarded notion that if you can't be armed to the teeths, the criminals will kill you
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

My father would have died 18 years earlier than he did at the hands of a criminal, but my perforating the SOB with a very large hole put a stop to that.

A decade later I performed a citizens arrest of 3 hoods breaking into our neighbors house, which at the time was only occupied by their 16 year old daughter. An assist goes to my 12 gauge magnum. Racking that thing ends 99.9% of all confrontations, sight unseen.

Is it hard taking a life? You betcha, but the alternatives and the guilt of inaction would have been much much worse.

I'm well armed to this day, a SIG P-239 .40 S&W. I have a concealed carry license and use it. Margie has a Beretta 9000 9mm and is also licensed. Both of us have combat training. All 3 of our adult kids are likewise, and when the time comes I'm sure Erik will do the same.

Being a victim is not an option.

One has to wonder if someone in that classroom had been armed, and had the opportunity to use it, if most of those deaths and injuries could have been prevented. Unfortunately the only state that would have allowed for that is Utah, but it's something to consider.

There was a case a couple of years ago, in the South I believe, where an assistant principal had a gun in the trunk of his car so he could go to the range after work. A school shooting incident started whereupon he ran to his car, got the gun and returned to the building. He encountered the shooter mid-act and killed him, no doubt saving many lives.

Sounds like a plan. Platitudes certainly aren't going to work.

Simply "outlawing" guns will not stop violence; crazies, criminals and terrorists will find a way. Hell, a motivated person could take out a classroom (and then some) with some processed aspirin.

Hell, for that matter anyone with a basic metal shop and easy to acquire skills can make all the weapons they want, rendering any gun ban moot. Just a trip to a discount tool dealer and away you go.
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 February 2008, 05:01.
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X