S.M.A.R.T info on drives in a RAID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.M.A.R.T info on drives in a RAID?

I know I know that I shouldn't have important data in a RAID0 but my server has a couple Samsung 250GB SATA drives in it that has my mp3's and iso's and software installers. Everything 'important' is on another drive with shadow copy and proper backups running.

However, I keep getting file errors on my raid array that have to be fixed with scandisk. Obviously I'm worried that the drives might be 'funky'

So the question is do any of you know a SMART utility that can actually read the info on drives in an array? the few I've tried say that can't read from a 'scsi' device.

Oh and the server is on a nforce2 abit NF7-s version 2 board.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

I think Linux can read the channels on that controller independently of the raid setting.
    So you might be able to boot up a live CD and see the smart info.

Just speculation, I haven't tried it.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

speedfan?

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman View Post
        speedfan?

Just tried and nope... doesn't see the the drives of the array. Sadly the SATARAID utility for the motherboard doesn't show anything either.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

ok... not completely true... SATARaid says they are 'ok' but doesn't give me any details.

Comment

here is a linux smart utility that is supposed to be pretty good.
            you can probably boot a live cd and install the utility purely in memory to check without installing anything on any hard drives.

Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

are the raid drives truely "raid compatible" or ordinary drives ? Some drives don't behave well in a raid situation but are just fine in normal (SATA or ATA ) configuration.

Comment

You could always "break" the RAID in hardware, boot, scan SMART status without touching the drives at all, and then "remake" the RAID in hardware. The problem, of course, is that while this works "in theory", it has the potential to munch ALL of your data.

A lot of the onboard RAIDs will, however, let you undo and redo the RAID'ing without a lenghty and destructive rebuild process. When you first put the RAID together on this board, did it take a long time to build the array? Or did it just say "ok the drives are RAIDed, have fun!"
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah.... nice in theory... but until I find a place to stick a 160GB of mp3's (yes they are legal people) I'm not gonna even dare to try.

Comment

You don't have a buddy with a 200GB external drive?
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah I can probably go that route... and honestly since I've had to scandisk for the last 3 defrags... I should check.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey View Post
                        Yeah I can probably go that route... and honestly since I've had to scandisk for the last 3 defrags... I should check.

As a reminder, just don't get THIS ONE:

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Seriously.... as a rule I tend to buy Seagates these days. Samsung is the OEM I need it and oh they are on special choice...

Western Digital used to be a favorite but not so much lately after having a batch die on me and I've had more Maxtor's die under my care than all the rest put together.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey View Post
                            Yeah.... nice in theory... but until I find a place to stick a 160GB of mp3's (yes they are legal people) I'm not gonna even dare to try.
                            Curious only - stripe for mp3s? ................. what do you use to rip and what sort of speed do you get from that to warrant a stripe for mp3s? ...................... and you listen to these things in 500X speed only I presume?
                            Lawrence

Comment

Samsung have a utility to check their own make harddrives.

You should try running that, but i suspect your main problem is the Silicon Image SATA Raid chips...

Its a non-native controller, and many DOS programs will not see them.

An intel board with integrated Sata will work, but it has to be native, ie in the chipset itself.
                              I think even my old intel 865 board has integrated Sata, so at least from i865 upwards should work.

Its not sure the SMART will have found anything...

On my WD Raptor 150Gb, SMART was always fine, but I also had to run chkdsk before every defrag, and a few times at boot.
                              The WD disk check finally gave me the news : DEAD.
                              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
                              X