SpaceDev Flies Prototype Hybrid Rocket Lunar Lander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceDev Flies Prototype Hybrid Rocket Lunar Lander

This could be an entrant in Googles lunar lander competition, giving John Carmack's Armadillo Aerospace a run for their money.

This is also the same company developing the Dream Chaser spaceplane.

Dream Chaser

Presser link....

Lander flight

SpaceDev Flies Prototype Hybrid Rocket Lunar Lander

Project is first to demonstrate applied throttling capability

POWAY, CA – December 20, 2007 – SpaceDev, Inc. (OTCBB: SPDV) announced today that it has concluded the first phase of development on its hybrid rocket powered lunar lander prototype, with a successful flight test. The effort was supported by the International Lunar Observatory Association (ILOA) led by Steve Durst, who envision using the technology to bring their ILO spacecraft to a soft landing on the South Pole of the Moon, where it will perform various astrophysics and communication functions.

During the flight test, the lander prototype vehicle’s four hybrid rocket motors were ignited and throttled via radio control, their thrust adjusted in real time to achieve lift-off, ascended to approximately 35 feet, hovered, descended, and landed softly. A video of the flight may be seen here - Lander Test Video (11mb WMV).

This test marked the first ever of a hybrid rocket powered lander vehicle and demonstrated applied throttling, a key capability of SpaceDev’s reliable, safe, and non-toxic hybrid propulsion technology. “This is an exciting project that has shown not only the versatility of our hybrid motors, but also SpaceDev’s high levels of responsiveness and efficiency,” said Mark N. Sirangelo, SpaceDev’s Chairman and CEO. “We see many important applications for our throttleable rockets, and we look forward to continuing our relationship with ILOA as well as our research and development of lander vehicles.”

About SpaceDev

SpaceDev, Inc. is a space technology/aerospace company that creates and sells affordable and innovative space products and mission solutions. For more information, visit www.spacedev.com.
    >
    >
    SpaceDev Investor Relations
    Investor Contact:
    Richard Slansky/Jessica Schwarz
    Media Contact:
    Mark Sirangelo
    (858) 375-2026
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 December 2007, 01:05.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Jeez, what are they fuelling that thing with? Coal?

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
      Jeez, what are they fuelling that thing with? Coal?

Kevin
      Recycled tires?
      A hybrid rocket could burn just about any flammable solid.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
        Recycled tires?
        Pretty close actually.

Firstly; hybrid rockets don't use liquid fuel, the fuel is solid, but they do use a liquid oxidizer. They also have a huge advantage over pure solid rockets: they're throttleable and can be shut down and re-started like a liquid rocket but without the necessity of cryogenic fuels. All that's necessary is a controllable valve and an igniter system.

The solid fuel in SpaceDev's rockets is Hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (HBTB), a form of hard rubber hence the black smoke. In solid motors like the shuttle SRB's HBTB is used as a binder along with a powdered aluminum fuel and an iron oxide catalyst, but SpaceDev uses it as the primary fuel.

The oxidizer in SpaceDev rockets is nitrous oxide, AKA laughing gas. The shuttle SRB's use ammonium perchlorate.

SpaceDev's hybrid motors are what powered SpaceShipOne in its X-Prize win, and if you watched the documentary "Dark Skies" you'll remember it too exhausted a black cloud.

Other fuels are coming down the pipe for hybrids which will give even higher performance but without the black clouds. The most excitement is around a common household material: paraffin wax. It's been found that hard paraffin combined with a little carbon and a few other 'enhancers' and either liquid oxygen or nitrous oxide is a fantastic rocket fuel, and its exhaust is very benign compared to other solid fuels (AKA: the "fuel grain").

Example hybrid rocket designs below. One is for self pressurizing oxidizers and the other for those that need pressurization.

They are so simple to build that many hobbyists have build and flown hybrid rockets using fuels as diverse as candle wax, acrylic plastic, sausages (Mythbuster's created a monster) and even chocolate. Just about any cast-able hydrocarbon will do.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 December 2007, 15:02.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Like I said.

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
          A hybrid rocket could burn just about any flammable solid.

PS I admit that Chocolate did not cross my mind.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
          X