Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Phenom update

naming scheme - "AMD Phenom 9000 is quad core, and 8000 is tri-core"

Performance-wise - expect something around the Q6600 level (and similar performance/clockspeed), but with MUCH less overclocking headroom. Nonetheless, they should be priced pretty competitively and will be a definite option for new system builders - provided of course they don't plan on overclocking.

That being said, there is rumor we might see an Intel quadcore @ 4GHz (STOCK) in mid 2008.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

sounds like tough times for AMD, if they don't get the clock speed up in a hurry
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Wow was that one of the worst articles from the inquirer or what? Tons of typos, and very difficult to read. That editor should be canned.

Comment

l'inq is in the habit of getting their articles out as soon as possible - even if that means no editting

I think if the pricing on the AMDs are good they will still sell a lot - especially if bulk pricing to the big guys (Dell, HP, etc) is good.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

This reminds me - Since I put my 'new' motherboard in 6+ months ago, I've yet to OC my Opteron.

Comment

not exactly getting glowing reviews

Read the latest computer hardware news, analysis and opinions on Tom's Hardware and get a glimpse into the future of cutting edge tech. | Tom's Hardware
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Results look dissapointing!!!

AMD could have done better, why are they not focusing on higher clocks is beyond me.

Comment

Seems like the Q6600 is still the best overall choice, even for a high range of budgets.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                  AMD could have done better, why are they not focusing on higher clocks is beyond me.
                  Because they can't get em to run properly at higher clocks

First they were supposed to be ~2.8 and 3.0ghz, then it was 2.6 and 2.4, now we are gonna see them at 2.2 and 2.3.

Comment

Indeed, when Intel already released their mighty 8 core CPUs (for the time being only in the Xeon flavor (X5365 V8)), and the folks at firingsquad confessed they switched their desktops from AMD to Core 2 CPUs, things couldn't look grimmer for AMD.
                    Originally posted by Gurm
                    .. some very fair skinned women just have a nasty brown crack no matter what...

Comment

Rant: c'mon, dissapointing? (yeah, and I consider reviews which include slower 8800 in midrange a "waste of paper", and I'm not alone in this).

Slower than Intel, sure; will be cheaper not long from now

But enough generally, don't tell me you could actually feel the difference if doing anything other than compiling/encoding large things?

(accidentelly just 2 days ago I realised that it makes sense for me to buy...X2 4000: the only motherboard with integrated GFX that has more than 2 PCI slots is for AM2 (even more than that - the only one overall with 4 PCI slots, without even taking into account integrated GFX); I'd like to use my PCI cards for a long time...and with AMD I'll be able to do that even with CPUs that will come what, 3 years from now? Plus CPU for 50€ & mobo for 40€ is rather nice)

Comment

It's defenitely a mid-range product. But at the price, it should attract some attention. Plus with the ATi sector improving on it's products, shouldn't be long now until AMD comes out for some serious competition. Hope they do well in the mobile market.
                        Last edited by ZokesPro; 20 November 2007, 06:49.
                        Titanium is the new bling!
                        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

AMD are in big doo dah.

No real competitive cpu's unless they drop there prices. In the graphics department no end top part to compete with Nvidea and last but not least a slight finical problem as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went under sooner than later which will be a shame.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Not so fast. They still have a good percent of the low to middle end market, and a large chunk of the server market. Just because Intel has the fastest CPU doesn't mean AMD is in big trouble. Plus they just got a huge cash infusion from the Middle East somewhere.
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                              ...huge cash infusion from the Middle East somewhere.

huh? :>

Comment

Working...
                              X