OS Backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS Backup

I have spent the last few days installing XP and a few apps on an old PC for a friend. When I got it from her it was riddled with crap and it was easier to wipe and rebuild than repair.

The entire Os and Apps are under 4GB. I am keen to find some way of backing up the data so that if i need to do this again it will take an hour rather than an evening.

I was thinking of simply copying the contents of the HD onto a DVD, that way assuming the partition table is intact, I could boot from a BartPE disk and copy it back.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

How are you going to deal with the MBR ? Maybe an old copy of Ghost or similar and a USB 2 disk to keep it simple ?

Comment

You should use Acronis True Image or similar program to make backup.

Be noted that Norton Ghost will not work with SATA drives.

Comment

ghost.exe /noide

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky Cheese View Post
          ghost.exe /noide
          This will do the trick on some configurations, not on all.

Comment

A good reason to retain EIDE for boot discs and use SATA for those requirements that need the bandwidth.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Use PING:
              A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

ghostpe.exe we use from a floppy at work works with SATA drives on promise controllers. If the Intel BIOS sees the SATA drive on PCI controller, ghost sees it.

We have one old PIII box just for drive to drive ghosting at work. With adapters you can also ghost laptop drives.

Another option is knoppix and using dd command.
                Last edited by UtwigMU; 17 November 2007, 17:28.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I used PING - awesome app! I've got the image saved on a DVD for now. I can restore it from a network or USB drive in the future.

Cheers guys! That will save me a lot of heartache!
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I boot using a Knoppix live CD and run partimage to accomplish things.
                    I can then just write an image of the drive to a zip file FAT32 partition, and later copy it to DVD.
                    Upside: free
                    Downside: drive partition can never change in size

edit: just saw that PING is essentially the same...

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                    X