Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox announces Millennium P690 Series

Matrox Graphics announces Millennium P690 Series fanless graphics cards
    New series offers reliable, ultra-low power graphics solution with wide enterprise flexibility.

Montreal, Canada, October 16th, 2007 — Matrox Graphics Inc., the leading manufacturer of professional graphics solutions, today announced the availability of its Millennium P690 Series fanless graphics cards. These cards are available in several form factors, offer low power consumption, and unified display drivers for easy deployment across multiple systems. In addition, the P690 Plus LP PCI/PCIe products can be upgraded (via a Quad-HD15 cable) to drive four analog monitors—and up to eight analog or four digital monitors in a joined-graphics card configuration.

"The P690 Series is a redesign of the popular P650 Series graphics cards, combining new 90nm chip design and DDR2 memory technology with our rock-solid unified drivers," states Alan Vandenbussche, Vice President Sales and Marketing, Matrox Graphics. "As a result, the P690 Series is an ideal choice for professionals looking for low power consumption and a long production life, without the risk of unproven drivers."

Wow still no duallink.

Comment

Great another card based on ages-old technology
      I doubt any company will spend $150-200 on such a card when you can get a $50 card that will do the same... or better.

I wonder what this "new 90nm chip design" is based on... Old Parhelia tech or... real new design ???
      System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

I have to wonder how many people they still have working in the graphics department. If this is the best they could come up with in this many years....
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

"rock solid drivers" does that mean there have been no usefull updates for a millenium

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman View Post
            "rock solid drivers" does that mean there have been no usefull updates for a millenium

Comment

Originally posted by Mikko View Post
              New series offers reliable, ultra-low power graphics solution
              That might look better if it was ultra-low power requirement graphics solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                That might look better if it was ultra-low power requirement graphics solution.
                Their current low power comes only because of the 90nm process while AMD/ATI now moves to 55nm (from 80nm - HD2900 cards...RV600).
                What did Matrox used before...maybe 130nm?

If they announce the P690 you can assume that the P790 will follow. The difference is minimal.
                The question is which name or addition to the name Parhelia is choosen if that one is also updated.

@Marshmallowman: Nice comment!

@rylan: I'm not that sure that the card doesn't support dual link. It's that much of a standard now that no one really announces this feature any more...it's just there.
                A question at the matrox forum may help to find out more.
                cu/2 magog - Germany - flying with OS/2 Warp speed...in a vehicle named eComStation (eCS)
                ---
                Author of the Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de
                JMDB v1.35 FINAL is available (2007-09-20)
                Homepage: http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/

Comment

Originally posted by magog View Post
                  A question at the matrox forum may help to find out more.
                  There is no Matrox Graphics Technical Support Forum anymore.

Comment

I've been reading this forum since I picked up a G200 back in 1998. I guess this is pretty much the end then. They haven't released a truly new GPU since 2002.

Is there really a market for this? I suppose it does have some unique connectivity options.
                    Last edited by Heiney; 19 October 2007, 20:03.

Comment

According to the specs on Matrox site for the P690 boards, the maximum digital resolution is 1920x1200, which is single link.

From looking at the unpopulated components on the PCB, I would make a guess that another version of the board (P790 maybe) has additional output capability... either duallink or quad head since the smaller square outlines with the thermal land in the centers are for silicon image transmitter chips.
                      Last edited by rylan; 19 October 2007, 20:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Heiney View Post
                        I've been reading this forum since I picked up a G200 back in 1998. I guess this is pretty much the end then. They haven't released a truly new GPU since 2002.

Is there really a market for this? I suppose it does have some unique connectivity options.
                        Thier market is now financial offices who need mulitiple screens for trading, and the off-the wall apps, like fast-food drive throughs (who also utilize multiple displays, at the order taker, order placer, and grill).

They have given up on Joe User and totally given up on any hope of gamers. This is proven by the fact that they dumped Haig and their tech support forums.
                        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Heiney View Post

If you're an extreme gamer, then you should buy NVIDIA/ATI graphics card and Matrox TripleHead2Go for Surround Gaming.

Last edited by Mikko; 20 October 2007, 01:23.

Comment

My Parhelia just got fuXx0r3d by a power surge so that's it for me next card will be a 3xxx HD I guess. Still can't buy nV, not even their chipsets
                            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Originally posted by Mikko View Post
                              If you're an extreme gamer, then you should buy NVIDIA/ATI graphics card and Matrox TripleHead2Go for Surround Gaming.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gx...gital/home.php

Yeah I'm really considering picking one up ~May-ish when I buy a new computer - I'd only have to add a 3rd 17" LCD. I really wish the th2go digital was about 100-150$ cheaper. At $340 (ncix) it's really stretching the budget.

17" LCDs haven't really dropped in price at all either, I guess because there's no demand for them - I might have to pick up a 19" for the centre screen. Or check ebay.
                              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
                              X