X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK News

Get it, OK... Oklahoma...

*ahem*

So yeah, as many of you know I've been working at the same company as our furry demi-god for the past 3 years and some odd months. Well, as happens, all good things come to an end and I'm moving on.

I've currently got one job offer and one forthcoming, and the companies couldn't be more different. One is for a family-owned, multi-company enterprise, where I'd be doing Informix 4GL programming for the dev group located at one of their manufacturing plants. Oddly enough, the company produces pipeline couplings that we used in treatment plant specs at the job I had before last. I'd be moving about an hour northwest of where I live now (Enid for Jolley). Already have an fairly decent offer on the table from them and they're really wanting to move forward.

The other job is more Java programming, but at the US data center for Hertz. So we're talking multi-national enterprise with a fairly large dev group. That one would require me moving about an hour south (Jolley territory). Supposed to hear back from them tomorrow with their offer.

In other news, my little sister is moving out here from the East coast. I've only seen her once in the past 6 years, so I'm excited about that. Just waiting on my mom to move out and remarry my dad. The weirdness in my life would then have come full circle

(She's moving to Barnsdall of all places, Charles)

Ah yes, before I forget. If anyone ever needs a glowing reference, our resident clay monkey is the man to see. He apparently makes it sound he'd sleep with you if he were so inclined. If you'd like a reference tinged with some sly humour, look no further than our local sasquatch.

Last edited by Jessterw; 16 July 2007, 20:58.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Interesting.

Enid: That's where my family is from on both sides.
    Been there maybe 100 times.
    Not sure I'd want to live there now though...

Hertz: Several years ago it had a reputation as an AWFUL place to work.
    One of our former DBAs works there now and likes it.
    Though the work load is high. As it usually is for DBAs.

Come to think of it, forget that wasteland up in Enid.
    When is this going to happen?
    A family three doors down from us is moving to Edmond, so selling their home this summer.
    Great family neighborhood with a terrific public grade school within the neighborhood.
    When do you move in?

chuck

PS Why would anyone move to a place like Barnsdall?
    Last edited by cjolley; 17 July 2007, 08:22.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

All the best JW.
      Let us know how it all turns out.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

@Chuck:

Well I'm heading back down to OKC for a meeting with Hertz, essentially so they can make an offer and then have me do a piss test. I'd probably start work on the 30th and we'd be moving down soon after. The Hertz office I'd be at is out in Warr Acres on NW Expressway, so we were looking at Edmund or Bethany for houses.

As far as Barnsdall goes, my sister does the whole horse training thing and is big into Western riding (oddly enough, I used to compete in the same), so she's going to work for some big horse ranch out there. Apparently the owners make some good money.

Comment

Update: Took the job at Hertz. Start end of this month. So we'll be moving down to OKC area sometime within the next month (or two depending on closing time on a house). Now if we can just afford the gas while I have to commute the hour to work...

I owe Chuck a beer for forgetting his phone number and not calling him while I was down that way.

Comment

Hey cool!
            No problem on the phone call, I was slaving away on that project all day and couldn't have left.
            Still, I'll take that beer later.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Best of luck with your new job! Hope it brings some happiness as well as lots of money
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Small world...I went to high school in Edmond. I know OKC quite well, having lived in Edmond and Norman for a number of years. Let me know if you need any advice on the city.

Comment

I didn't think I was THAT over the top. Glad to hear it went well though
                  Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
                    Update: Took the job at Hertz. Start end of this month. So we'll be moving down to OKC area sometime within the next month (or two depending on closing time on a house). Now if we can just afford the gas while I have to commute the hour to work...

I owe Chuck a beer for forgetting his phone number and not calling him while I was down that way.

Good Luck!

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

congrats on the new job JW.
                      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by KentCummings View Post
                        Small world...I went to high school in Edmond. I know OKC quite well, having lived in Edmond and Norman for a number of years. Let me know if you need any advice on the city.

I see your new to MURC. Welcome!

P.S: Nice hat.
                        Titanium is the new bling!
                        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Gratz on the job!
                          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Oh yeah!

Congrats on the new job!
                            Titanium is the new bling!
                            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
                              I see your new to MURC. Welcome!
                              Yeah, 2004 was just yesterday...
                              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...