$180 per 300g holodisk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $180 per 300g holodisk

InPhase Technologies has begun bulk shipping of its 300GB holographic storage disks and drives, the firm said yesterday.

The Tapestry HDS-300R drive costs $18,000, with the 1.5mm-thick platters running to $180 a piece. The firm already claims a series of high profile customers, including Turner Broadcasting, the US Geological Survey, and Lockheed Martin.

InPhase's roadmap sees a series of capacity increases, with disks expanded to 1.6TB in 2010. Data is currently transferred from the platters, which are expected to have a 50-year lifespan, at 20MB/s.

InPhase marketing VP Liz Murphy said: "We've also tried to make it as easy to integrate as possible from a software perspective. So it can emulate a DVD, CD-R, magnetic optical disc or tape drive. So software companies don't have to do any major changes to write to it in native mode."

Despite pitching the price point somewhere in the mid to high-end tape drive, InPhase says it is not interested in the backup market and will concentrate on archiving. CEO Nelson Diaz said: "We're not going to play in the backup market at all."

A re-writeable version of the format is expected in 2008, however.

More here at Computerworld.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Wow, a technology that has finaly left the vaporware crowd
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

yeah, but it doesn't look at all like a roll of tesa film. strange.

mfg
      wulfman
      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
      "Lobsters?"
      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

The Tapestry HDS-300R drive costs $18,000, with the 1.5mm-thick platters running to $180 a piece.
        Reminds me of Sony's MiniDisc. When they finally price it in a sensible way, it'll be too late for anyone to care.
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
          Reminds me of Sony's MiniDisc. When they finally price it in a sensible way, it'll be too late for anyone to care.
          They ARE pricing it in a sensible way

They just dont give a damn about the consumer level market
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

This thread restarted Gurm's and my semi-regular discussion of a backup method that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for personal use. Tape really isn't an option price wise for personal use and it seems to get the space needed to backup today's hard drives you have to use a hard drive. That our have stacks and stacks of DVD's... which isn't always justifiable or cheap if you have a 500GB drive to backup
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

RAID 1? Drive1 is constantly backed to drive2 in real time. The odds of both dying at once is slim.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                RAID 1? Drive1 is constantly backed to drive2 in real time. The odds of both dying at once is slim.
                Yes and I'm thinking about doing Raid5 but again this is leading back to what I said about harddrive based solutions.... I'd like a media method. More than anything I'd like something off site or in a security deposit box. Again, a drive could work but bleh....
                Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
                  That IS a sensible price. Hell, it's pretty cheap, as far as storage density/$
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

By "they", I meant InPhase. At 18k for the drive and 180$ for a non rewritable media with an abysmal 20MB/s speed, I'd stick with remote location HDD backup.
                    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Have you seen what Seagate's Savvio drives cost?
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
                        They ARE pricing it in a sensible way

They just dont give a damn about the consumer level market

If Holographic technology would cheap, we would have had own holograph cameras for years already before the film era started to end. Unfortunately, it's not cheap and it has some serious limitations for photography use, like totally inaccurate color information and massive size of equipment.

I think I saw Holographic Photo Studio at Graz, Austria. At least they had one window dedicated for Holography and it displayed some really nice 3D portrait shots in- and outside of the glass cubes. Unfortunately the prices were nice too. Not for customer though. (it was actually cheaper than I expected... in 10 years the expenses taking sing holographic picture had dropped in 1/10th what it used to be, but still 350 Euros from one picture is a bit too steep, don't you think?)

so, here we are with this HVD tech that acording to internet rumours was about to replace DVD/BluRay/HDDVD in xmas 2006.... yet another excelent example of information dispersion happening in Internet. Sure it is wonderful tehcnology and I have no doubt it finding it's place where some serious archiving is needed, but it will take 5 to 10 years, before it reaches consumer prices (Mr. Stetson gave me this estimate. ), if not something even better comes and replaces it before that.
                        "Dippadai"

Comment

Doc, what if whole computer "dies" somehow?

Comment

You plan on dunking it in the tub?
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

lightning? yeah, I know: UPS, surge protectors. psu can die and take everything down, etc.

at the moment I favor a raid5 home server (linux) and a external usb2.0 hdd.

mfg
                              wulfman
                              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                              "Lobsters?"
                              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Working...
                              X