Build your own intel or AMD OSX machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build your own intel or AMD OSX machine

I would think OSX would initially detect the hardware and then install, he doesn't specify if there is anything specific you need, but he does indicate the hardware compatibility list for OSX.

You can find the same info and a lot more overhere: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Hmmm, should I build a low end OSX box?

Comment

nope, just buy a mac mini if you want to play.

seriously, its a PITA to try to keep it working etc on a non apple machine.
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

What sasq said, I got a copy of osx running on my PC (triple boot, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS-X ), it works good, but there are some little annoyances (all hardware related). Buying an iMac or a Mac mini will give you a problem free OS-X.
          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

What type of annoyances?

Comment

hardware issues, quartz (the UI engine) not running at full enhanced mode, software updates breaking parts or the whole system.

I spend my life on a macbook pro, no mess, no fuss, it works.
              while i don't condone piracy, which is what you would need to do to run osx on a non mac box, i can understand playing with a tripple boot, if you just want to see what osx is like.
              as a constant use machine, the constant patches/tweaks/BS you would need to go through to keep it working sweet is just not worth it.

Better to spend the cash for a 'low end machine' on a mac mini and a decent KVM switch.
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

What sasq said again , you can get fully functional quartz etc but you need to apply patches and hacks etc. And security patches and other patches can break your system. It's nice to play with but thats it.

Comment

hear ya loud and clear, certainly not worth the effort then!

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                  X