Bad reporting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad reporting!

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Mr Castro is suffering from terminal cancer and may never recover.
    If one is suffering from a terminal condition, one does NOT recover under any circumstances (except for one case nearly 2000 years ago).

There is far too much loose language in news reporting.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Think again.

Many, many "terminal" patients survive just in the US fdue to spontaneous remissions & regressions. That they recovered most often has little to do with mis-classification either, so don't even go there

The actual number is hard to pin down because of insufficient reporting, but any pathologist experienced in malignancies on this side of the pond will tell you they're much more common than the "out of thin air" 1 in 60,000 often quoted.

BTW: that characterization isn't mine; it came from a U of M oncologist in a conversation on this topic

An interesting factoid is that often these patients experienced an acute infection just prior to the regression of their tumor.

ex:

CONCLUSION

A large fraction of spontaneous regressions and remissions described in the literature was preceded by a hefty feverish infection. The hypothesis that fever can have therapeutic value can be brought in line both with successful historical attempts to apply fever using bacterial extracts and with immunological evidence. Putative beneficial effects of fever should as well act preventive, and indeed epidemiological studies show that a personal history of feverish infections reduces the likelihood to develop cancer later.

Immunological strategies to break cancer cell tolerance should be individualised rather than generic. Fever induction will necessarily induce an individual response, which even addresses the problem of antigenic drift in time. Today we should be able to induce and control fever much better than 100 years ago. The discussion should be re-opened if and how to best scrutinise fever therapy in the future.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 November 2006, 01:58.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Linguistically speaking, if someone has terminal cancer and "recovers," it wasn't terminal in the first place.

Comment

LOL, exactly what I was thinking
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Thankfully linguists don't moonlight as oncologists or pathologists.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well, if they did, maybe they'd be more careful before telling someone that they were definitely gonna die.

Comment

Everybody is definitely going to die!
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

"He died unexpectedly"

"What? You expected him to live forever??"
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                  "He died unexpectedly"

"What? You expected him to live forever??"
                  lol
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

No, they didn't expect him to last this much!
                    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                      X