Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe vs. Vista

Adobe boss won't rule out suing over Vista

Adobe chief executive Bruce Chizen will not rule out suing Microsoft over the "save as pdf" feature of Vista, the operating system slated for arrival next year.

Speaking to a German business paper, Chizen said the company was working with regulators but could take to the courts if this failed.

He said there were two options – to take direct legal action against Microsoft, or to work with regulators. Chizen said: "We are doing the latter. Then we will see."

Adobe was one of the companies which asked the European Competition Commission to investigate elements of Vista back in September.

Chizen also told the Euro am Sontag paper that Adobe would offer some of its products online and paid for by adverts.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Sucks for Microsoft. The smart thing would have been to just arrange a license deal with Adobe, but then I don't suspect MS actually thought it would come down to this. After-all, a number of Linux distros offer this capability as does OS X.

Then again, Adobe doesn't make as much money with their Acrobat and PDF-related product lines on those alternate platforms.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Where is this "Save as PDF" feature? I'm running Vista RTM and Office 2007 Pro, and I can't find a way to save a document as a PDF.

If it's in there, I'd like to try it out.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Not sure about Vista, but for Office you need this:

I think the main thing that has Adobe whining is MS having developed the (quasi) PDF-alternative, XPS.
        Last edited by Jessterw; 20 November 2006, 20:02.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Ah, very cool.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Oo2 also exports PDF.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

They could spell their sources right: It's "Euro am Sonntag". (Yes, I know that's not really important, I'm just asking myself how hard it must be to copy three easy words.)
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Just score the free Primo PDF printer driver.
                It is fast and good. I've created PDFs of > 100,000 pages with it.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

With that amount of pages, it can only be smut.
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

That's exactly how the property tax payers of Oklahoma county feel about it too.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                    X