Laptop powering off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop powering off?

Ok, so I have a laptop here I'm trying to fix.

It won't boot into Windows (it will blue screen and reboot).

If I boot from a boot disk (DOS, Knoppix, etc etc), it will run fine for about 20 minutes or so, and then just shut off out of the blue.

It's a Sony VAIO.

Any ideas?

In the meantime, I found this...although the apparent solution is to replace the hardware.
    Last edited by Kooldino; 28 October 2006, 14:45.

It could be overheating. Open it up and blow out the cpu/fan/heatsink with some compressed air.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

When Beckys Dell 600m laptop did that it took a main board replacement to fix it.
      Though, I considered it a pretty graceful failure considering it allowed a backup before the work.
      But that is just the way it acted.

You might check the cooling system first though.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Well, fwiw, it can sit here in the BIOS sccreen forever...still think it's heat?

Comment

check all the screws are tight. inside and out.
          /meow
          Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
          Asus Striker ][
          8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
          Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
            Well, fwiw, it can sit here in the BIOS sccreen forever...still think it's heat?
            Yes. Make sure you can hear the fan blowing on the laptop. Then put your hand by the exhaust right after it blue screens to gauge the temperature. Also put your hand under the laptop and see if any parts are too hot to touch.

If there doesn't seem to be any heat problems, more than likely something inside was damaged by a drop or a twist.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Take out the battery and run it on A/C power and see if that works.
              DJ

Comment

I had a wireless etehernet card that would cause this (only on this particular laptop).
                I swapped it out for a wired ethernet card and it worked fine.

Could be a harware problem as Jamm suggested.
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Have you tried running it without the batteries? The reason I asked is because I had the exact same problem a few months ago with my VAIO PCG-K33 and found the same link you posted. However I noticed that it was the battery itself was overheating and just before it happened I would notice the the battery Icon in windows was always on and showing full even when it was plugged in. Taking out the battery and running on A/C did the trick. After a while I put back in the same battery and its still working up to now.

DJ

Comment

Tried running it sans batteries. It seems to last a little longer, but still ends up dying.

Comment

Working...
                    X