Microsoft Zune Live...yet another "iPod killer"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Zune Live...yet another "iPod killer"

Microsoft's new "iPod killer" has a name: Zune Live.

They really need to fire whoever does their product naming. Industry spies and insiders say it looks like this:

Among what is rumored here are the interesting ones:

-WiFi built in so the player can update/download without a PC(? ... or work wirelessly through you PC), and will allow people to "trade" music, though no one knows how that will work out legally.

-Larger video screen than the current iPod Video.

-MS has been rumored to be in talks with iPod accessory makers and supposedly undercutting Apple's iPod accessory licensing fee (i.e. you have to pay a licensing fee to put the "Made for iPod" logo on a box or product).

-Will use Windows Media Player 11 as the base software, meaning Vista will have Urge/Zune Live support built in like OS X has iTune support built in.

-and this is the big one ... rumor has it that MS will pay for a download/license for every piece of music you have purchased from iTunes. Meaning, the installer will check to see if iTunes is installed, and if it is it will find all of the music you have purchased through iTunes and then download the same titles from Urge and copy them to your player.

Should be an interesting MP3 player war this holiday season. Especially if the G6 iPod rumors are true.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I can deal with the Zune name, but live after it? give me an f'n break
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

It's part of their new "Live" everything push. Office Live, Windows Live, OneHelp Live, Zune Live, Dildo Live ... www.Live.com

PS - this is a mock-up of the highly rumored iPod G6:

The mock-up was designed after a patent that Apple filed for, namely the virtual control wheel. The device is controled via touchpad LCD and the virtual wheel thingy. If this is accurate and IF Apple can keep the prices down and IF Apple can get movies on iTunes at a decent price ... then I can see Apple keeping their market share intact for the forseeable future.

details here: http://www.techmanifesto.com/archive...ouch-friendly/

Comment

Damn thats sweet!
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

G6 IPOD:

Comment

Would be nice though.

PS. A long tie ago I had a "vision" of cellphones/mp3 players/etc. in which whole external surface is just one "big" screen...would be even nicer.

Comment

actually... a virtual interface like that would actually make me consider an ipod for the first time.
              Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
                I didn't say it was real. I said it was a mock-up based on the patent filed by Apple.

There's no way a realy picture of a G6 iPod would be released. Not this far away from the holiday season when MS is breathing down Apple's neck with Zune Live and it's much larger than the G5 iPod's screen.

Comment

I want an iriver U10 with 40GB capacity.
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Oddly...right now I want the cheapest player (512MB would be enough...) with support of AAC or OGG and a way to somehow upload statistics to last.fm...

Comment

Working...
                    X