Parallels Desktop Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallels Desktop Review

Ars has a good review of the 1.0 version of Parellels Desktop for Mac OS X. For those still living in a cave, this is the desktop virtualization software to aspires to finally bring Windows applications (and of course those of other platforms) to the Mac OS without having to resort to dual-booting or emulation (virtual PC).

If you want to run Windows (or Linux) on your Intel Mac, but don't want to …

As a quick summary, here are their conclusions in a pro/con format:
    Pros
    * Fast and overall responsiveness in OSes is very good
    * Clean, unobtrusive interface
    * Seamless networking with no configuration needed
    * Additional tools for Windows make file sharing and mouse movement better
    * Disk image compacting tool saves hard drive space
    * Very good application compatibility for software within client OSes
    * Runs multiple instances of the application to use more than one core/CPU when running two or more client VMs
    * Connect image option is a time and disk saver for downloaded installers
    * Well priced, even at US$80

Cons
    * Not suitable for games or complex 3-D modeling applications
    * Limited USB hardware support
    * No option to use more than a single CPU core
    * Can't burn DVDs and CDs within VMs
    * Improved mouse movement driver for Windows VMs only
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

hrm... didn't realize I was living in a cave... oooo look stalactites, pretty

but yes that's cool in concept. I wish them more luck than Wine has had.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Completely different thing than Wine. Unix has had virtualization for a long time, so this is nothing new. In other words, it's more than just a concept, it's a proven technology.

This is only a new thing for Mac OS X because of it only recently being platform/architecture compatible with other Intel-based operating systems.

Comment

purchased, now where is my xp cd...
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I played with it a few weeks ago, it's blazing fast in comparison with VPC, I only noticed 2 small caveats no firewire support and I had some mouse problems when running windows in fullscreen.
          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Migrate from Boot Camp

Just out of interest, here is a thread on the Parallels' forum for migrating a Boot Camp setup to Parallels.

Somewhat complex instructions, but might be worth it for those who have invested in a Boot Camp setup already (sorry Dan ).

Comment

Working...
            X