Mammatus clouds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mammatus clouds

Mammatus (breast) clouds usually form under thunderheads & tornadic supercells due to a strong updraft, taking on the appearance of hanging sacs.

In the US they form mostly here in the midwest and in the eastern part of the country, but can form anywhere the conditions are right. Sometimes a storm doesn't even have to be that intense for them to form if the updraft is strong enough.

Often the sacs are quite large and low as in the second image, making some think they are tornados dropping. In fact they are more often a sign of the storm winding down.

Combined with a setting sun things can look rather freaky with colors ranging from gray to orange, red, yellow, purple or black. Just imagine looking out your picture window and seeing these over your house;

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 July 2006, 22:50.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Nice! Did you take these?
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

amazing.
      I'd be rather scared of those tentacles thou

Comment

I'd love to see this is r/l

Comment

very nice and freaky at the same time

Comment

Awesome!!! Aside from in pictures, I've never seen cloud formations like these before.
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

We see 'em all the time in the hot summer months, but then it's mostly the heat that causes the updrafts. Sometimes the sacs form within 100m of the ground, which is the freakiest view of all. Definitely makes you feel puny

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 July 2006, 10:29.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

many other "strange" clouds

I swear to you, this is not manipulated, at all. #157 most interesting picture of the day on Flickr Explore's Interestingness page. flickr.com/explore/interesting/2006/1/6/page16 Featured on The Daily Tentacle, 15 August 2007. Breaking News! In 2009, this photo will be featured in a book! When its published, I'll give you the link and more information. www.greeneheaton.co.uk/pages/authors/title.asp?AuthorID=1... "It looks like a C**k" by Ben and Jack It was published in UK, Europe, USA and in the Australian edition, was the front cover photo. www.penelopebokhandel.no/vare.php?ean=9781408802458 www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=121180850253 The Facebook Group! Links to this photo: kittenfluff.blogspot.com/2006/01/something-very-wrong-in-... anarchaia.org/archive/2006/01/12.html www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/clouds-that-look-like-dicks-the-d... www.mamamia.com.au/weblog/2010/09/clouds-that-look-like-p... www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=251014121591683&set=a...

And this one is indeed seriously wrong

Comment

Working...
                X