• Show
Clear All

• AMD 4-core's

HyperTransport 3.0 @ 5.2 gigatransfers per second

2 caches/core + a shared cache to reduce main RAM fetches

memory controller or processor core can power down when idle

DDR2/DDR3

Sounds interesting....
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 May 2006, 17:48.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

At the trade show that I attended last week (mentioned in another thread) the Intel guy said that Intel currently had no plans for quad core cpus targetted toward desktops, although there were plans for quad core server cpus.

I'm planning on getting a one of those quad core systems when they come and have stabalized. I'm wondering about cpu socket though. Does anyone know if those new cpus will use AM2? If not, it seems like AM2 is going to be very short lived.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Does anyone know if those new cpus will use AM2? If not, it seems like AM2 is going to be very short lived.
      Not necessarily, AM2 may be for the mainstream desktop dual core etc, and the quad core cpu's may be for workstations and servers like the Opterons today.

I'm looking forward to it!

Regards,
      Elie

Comment

any mention on improving the architecture with more instructions per clock, which Intel did for the Core2 ?.. or is it just the brute force approach of more cores, more cache, more clock speed etc..
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Have they announced anything other than AM2 as a socket platform?

Isn't AM2 designed to replace 939? And isn't 939 the current socket platform for Opteron.

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
            Have they announced anything other than AM2 as a socket platform?

Isn't AM2 designed to replace 939? And isn't 939 the current socket platform for Opteron.
            Currently 939 is only used for single sockets systems(athlon & opteron), socket 940 is used for multi sockets systems.(opteron only)

I do believe quad core will only be for Socket F, the 1207 pin socket for server and worksation with multiple sockets.(opteron)

However I vaguely recall that am2 will be used for single socket opterons, so might get quad core opterons...but I only know for certain that socket f definelty gets quad core.

Comment

ok, so when is socket F being released?

Comment

Ok, I google it.

It looks like AMD is waiting to see how intel fares with their new server platform to be released later this year.

Hmm... I'd love to build a new dual quad core workstation!

Comment

ok, so when is socket F being released?
                  Best guess so far in mid 2007, eg there is still quite a bit of life left in the current opterons.
                  I am hoping they do a few more speed bumps with socket 940, though hoping for .65nm 940 opterons may be a bit optimistic.

As it is I can only upgade my 2 x 2G opterons to 2x 3G's or 2 x 2.8G dual cores so far

Comment

According to this it could be this year: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31455

I hope so, I'd like to build my new workstation shortly after Vista drops.

Comment

Actually here is the breakdown...

1-Opteron 148, 150, 152, 165, 170, 175 use the 939 socket
                      Note that the 165, 170, 175 are dual core...

2-Opteron 140, 142, 144, 146, 242, and up use the 940 socket

Still don't know what AM2 will replace for sure, but I have a feeling it may replace 939, so not all Opterons will be obsolete with the introduction of the AM2.

Regards,
                      Elie

Comment

I can't wait to see how fast HD MPEG encodes are on a QC.
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

They just announced dual core Turion64 chips today too. First dual core/64 bit notebook chips on the market.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Hmm... I'd love to build a new dual quad core workstation!

But what OS would you be able to use on it
                            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
                              But what OS would you be able to use on it
                              Windows XP Pro or Vista ... MS has already stated that they will consider multi-core CPUs as a single CPU. So you could build a dual-quad-core system and still be able to use standard OSs.

For example, the P-D EE reports as 4-CPUs/cores with WinXP Pro already (2-cores + 2-hyperthreads).

Jammrock
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X