Why breasts (safe for work)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why breasts (safe for work)

Reading now...and it's a real proof of human intelect when some scientists can disguise this as "work"

Few fun quotes:
    "In peacocks, the males are the pretty ones. In humans, somehow this is reversed: women are the pretty ones, and men are all astonishingly ugly."

"Non-lactating breasts are like nuclear missiles – we only need them or want them because other people have them."

"In short, breasts were once a turn-off, not a turn-on." ( )

"Women are humans, despite what many male observers may tell you, and humans are different from the rest of beasts in many ways."
    Last edited by Nowhere; 9 April 2006, 12:09.

Interesting read. Sexual selection is a pretty cool topic.

In short, females have few, high-resource reproductive cells (eggs), while males have lots of "cheap" cells (sperm). The goal of the female is to choose the right mate, while the goal of the male is to get as much sperm out there as possible. Thus, males need to be showy to give the female a reason to choose him.

Things get wacky when sexual race comes into play with trickery and/or extreme features.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Science=Sexy

Seriously, it's good to see well thought out reasons for why we are the way we are. That doesn't change the fact that logic often doesn't equal women (no offense to the women here... just saying)
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I'd prefer a NSFW version
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
          Visualizations help every presentation!
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

In the placebo article:

If you hypnotise someone, and tell them that an unlit candle in front of them is in fact lit, then when you tell them to hold their finger in the “flame”, they will, remarkably enough, develop a blister. They have not sustained any burning damage. The blister which appears after a real burn, one can conclude, is not caused by the burning damage, but is instead the body’s response to perceived burning.
            Umm... ok....

Comment

Correct. Dead bodies don't develop blisters (or even reddening, I think).
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                Correct. Dead bodies don't develop blisters (or even reddening, I think).
                The absence of thought is not the only consequence of death, which your statement seems to presume. Blood will not flow.. antibodies will not attack bacteria. Injuries will not be repaired. The reddening that occurs when heat is applied to a spot on a live person's skin is a result of blood flow.
                Last edited by KvHagedorn; 11 April 2006, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                  That's the most intelligent quip I've read/heard all day.
                  P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Schmosef, are we fraternizing?

Comment

Originally posted by az
                      Schmosef, are we fraternizing?
                      just calling it like i see it.
                      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

You seem to be agreeing with the enemy a lot recently.

Comment

So how is umf the enemy? What have I missed here?

Comment

So, Schmosef's enemy is your enemy, too?

Comment

the real enemy are the squirrels! don't underestimate those nutty rodents.
                              /meow
                              Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                              Asus Striker ][
                              8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                              Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Working...
                              X