of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the
    religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice
    not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. We also wish you a
    fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated
    recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2006, but
    not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose
    contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that
    America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America
    in the Western Hemisphere and without regard to the race, creed, color, age,
    physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee. By
    accepting these greetings you are accepting these terms. This greeting is
    subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no
    alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to
    actually implement any of the wishes for herself or himself or others, and
    is void where prohibited by law and is revocable at the sole discretion of
    the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual
    application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance
    of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is
    limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole
    discretion of the wisher.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Our pastor at midnight mass had a sermon about pc greetings.. he said someone asked him if he would be offended if he was invited to a Hannukah celebration, and he thought about it and thought about the good food they would probably serve and the fun he would have and said "when and where?"

Comment

Somewhere in the last few decades, people started thinking it was offensive to mention any religion to anyone of a different religion. Isn't the whole freedom of religion thing supposed to mean that you're free to practice your religion however you see fit, as long as you don't cause harm to anyone else?

I'm not a religious person, but I certainly don't get offended if someone wishes me "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hannukah", "Happy Festivus", or whatever else. If someone tried to force their religion upon me, or perhaps called me an idiot for not believing what they do, that's when I get offended.

I agree that schools shouldn't have Christmas pageants where all of the students are required to attend or participate, but if some of the students want to put on a pageant, with voluntary attendance, why shouldn't they be able to? Same goes for nativity scenes in the public square. It shouldn't be paid for by the taxpayer, but if a church group wants to use public space to put up a display, that should also be allowed.

I think I'm done now...
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

All I'll say is: Happy Christmas and a Merry New-Year!

And that I think the debate is silly, outrageous really. And I am an atheist. One might even think that the people in the US who protest against all this happy christmas stuff and want holiday trees are simply extremely selfish: isn't there better fish to fry than this domestic bullcrap?
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
          I'm not a religious person, but I certainly don't get offended if someone wishes me "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hannukah", "Happy Festivus", or whatever else. If someone tried to force their religion upon me, or perhaps called me an idiot for not believing what they do, that's when I get offended.

I agree that schools shouldn't have Christmas pageants where all of the students are required to attend or participate, but if some of the students want to put on a pageant, with voluntary attendance, why shouldn't they be able to? Same goes for nativity scenes in the public square. It shouldn't be paid for by the taxpayer, but if a church group wants to use public space to put up a display, that should also be allowed.

I think I'm done now...

X100000

Oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Count me in on those sentiments too.

Now if we can only convince the American "Civil Liberties" Union that religious practice in the public square qualifies as a civil liberty too. Darned tired of people banning red & green cookies etc. because of their "Christian significance"

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Yup, agreed here also. I'm sick of a few people making a big stink and ruining it for the rest of us who don't have a problem saying Merry Christmas and calling the tree what it is... a christmas tree.

If some parents don't want their kids participating in christmas stuff or other holiday stuff in school, thats perfectly fine with me. But don't go banning red/green colors and decorations because its "religious".

Comment

Count me in to, I hate it when I have to watch every word I say when it comes to holiday wishes whether it's religious or otherwise.

I normally don't give a damn, I'll say Merry Christmas to anyone, and if they reply that he or she is of other religions, then I'll apologize and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
                  I'll say Merry Christmas to anyone, and if they reply that he or she is of other religions, then I'll apologize and move on.
                  I would not. Imagine the burden you put on them as they can no longer wish you a starving ramadan since it would insult you (as it would not be your religion). Lighten up.
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
                  X