SATA to PATA transfer problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA to PATA transfer problems

I need input from people who have computers with PATA and SATA HDDs, preferably with an nForce 4 chipset, but anything will do. I just got an IDE drive on sale that I threw into my system. I've been transfering data around and will consistently get crashes in Explorer and explorer related services. I ran several thurough chkdsk's to test the surface of the drive, but with no bad sectors found.

So ... has anyone else had problems with large data transfers from SATA to PATA? Heard of anyone who has? The only thing left I can thing of is a bad controller card on the HDD, or bad memory on the HDD controller.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

SATA/PATA is probably the most problematic item with the nforce chipset(s).

I have heard some people curing their problems by either updating the SATA/PATA controllers bios , some times a certain drive may cure the issues.

The is also a fair number of HDD's that seem to corrupt if you have tagged queueing enabled for them, this would be the first the I disabled and maybe even try disabling NCQ (disable in the device manger)

I have never encountered corruption, but I have had problems myself with the nforce 4, but I did hit some DVD/CD rom isssues with an nforce 2chipset.

Comment

I have an nForce 4 Ultra. I have my primary drives on PATA, and a pair of 40GB disks on SATA in a striped array. I haven't had any problems at all so far. I did have to update the bios before it would work at all, but after that, it's been great.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Not had any issues myself with exactly that configuration (PATA slave transferring about 40Gb to a SATA drive on an nForce 4. Also done transfers from that PATA drive to another machine on the network - rescuing a dropped drive that lost it's ability to hold and boot an OS). Wasn't doing anything else with the computer at the time though, and it's an almost clean install of winxp-64.
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Forgot to say I have a Gigabyte K8N Ultra-9 mobo with nForce 4 Ultra chipset. Fresh install of WinXP SP2 (32-bit) with all the absolute newest drivers (nForce 6.70, Cat 5.12, etc.). The SATA drive is a new'ish Samsung SP2400C and a 250 GB IDE Maxtor drive.

Here are some updates:

I found that there is an F8 BIOS update for the motherboard, I will give that a shot tonight. Gigabyte seems to pump out a new BIOS for the nForce 4 chipsets every 1-2 months.

If I run nForce's HDD tach built in to the driver, the Samsung drive scores under 10 MB/s in transfer speeds, the Maxtor score 105 MB/s burst and 60 MB/s nominal. I've run every diagnostics imaginable on the Samsung drive, but I constantly have problems with it. No surface problems or bad blocks are ever found, but I've lost the MBR 3 times since September. I get all sorts of funky errors. I've gone as far as moving the OS installation to the Maxtor, just to see if that helps fix the HDD instabilities.

Maxtor and nForce 4 have been know to have problems. Supposedly the problems are with SATA, and not as much for IDE. Depends on the reports you read. So far no problems I can detect with the Maxtor that weren't already there with just the Samsing.

I can't find any firmware updates for either HDD (SP2004C and L01R250). Samsung claims their drives don't need no stink'n firmware updates. Maxtor has hidden their updates somewhere and I can't find them.

Tonight I am going to update the BIOS, disable NCQ on the Samsung, and play with caching. Rollback the PATA driver to the native MS driver and keep the nForce SATA drivers That seems to be what most people are doing who are experiencing problems.

But first, I need to pull data from the partitions I lost on the Samsung from the last time I lost the MBR

Jammrock
          Last edited by Jammrock; 19 December 2005, 11:08.

Comment

Interesting... my drives were both Maxtors btw, one 3 or so years old, the SATA one a diamondmax 10.
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
              Interesting... my drives were both Maxtors btw, one 3 or so years old, the SATA one a diamondmax 10.
              Only certain revisions of the DiamondMax 10 line had the problem. Nothing I read says the IDE DiamondMax 9's have the problem *shrugs* A lot of people say nForce 6.70 fixes a lot of issues. I'll do some thurough testing tonight.

Jammrock

Comment

Just curious... What is your memory configuration?

Comment

I didn't have any problems like that. When I switched to my nF4u board, I turned off my old MB and turned on the DFI with my PATA drives connected to SATA converters. They run about $20 each, and work like a charm. I recommend converting your PATA drive if that's a possiblity.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

My nforce 4 board has not encountered any problems either , but I have read of a few instances

Comment

Originally posted by Goc
                      Just curious... What is your memory configuration?
                      2 x 512 MB Crucial Ballistix. None of the OCZ garbage that people have been reporting isn't running up to snuff Dual channel mode.

Update: I disabled NCQ on the SATA Samsung drive and the HDD tach is putting up aceptable numbers now. Once I get my data recovery software installed I'll test to see just how well the settings change works.
                      Last edited by Jammrock; 19 December 2005, 23:30.

Comment

I see you've done your homework.
                        There's also an annoying problem if you have four sticks of RAM but that isn't your problem obviously...

Comment

Working...
                        X